Combination UK/EU plug strips

Title says it all
Capetonian

Combination UK/EU plug strips

#1 Post by Capetonian » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:39 pm

Most of my electrical devices are on UK plugs, some of the household ones are UK, some EU, and my wife's mostly EU. We even have Swiss and South African ones, but that doesn't really matter.

We have a constant headache with adapters and leads trailing all over the place. We have 3 or 4 each with UK multisockets and 3 or 4 EU ones. What I am looking for is a multisocket outlet that combines both UK and EU plugs, for example 4 of each on the same unit.

I've done a quick G-search, can't find anything, does anyone know if such a thing exists?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Combination UK/EU plug strips

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:20 am

What input plug would you want?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by llondel » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:24 am

Have you considered making something? Get a bunch of surface boxes, screw to a piece of wood and wire them up appropriately. If you're using a UK plug as the source then give it a suitable-size fuse, otherwise you can get another box with a fuse in it and add that to the piece of wood.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by llondel » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:27 am

Amazon does such things, not sure how safe they are though, probably don't meet UK standards in some way or other.

https://www.amazon.com/KRIEGER-Universa ... B00N13DC9O

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:06 am

A combination plug won't work after 31st Dec 😆

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:14 am

Seriously, you can get individual conversion plugs, say UK male, EU female. They are not much larger than a standard UK plug. Where such devices may not work are with the near ubiquitous chargers and devices.

In case you have these as well even a commercial plug tower or strip isn't suitable. I have a couple of towers (unstable) with multiple sockets 8-10 and a flat 8 plate. Both have on-off switches too. Newer ones also have USB sockets. EBay is often better for these provided China still make them.

Make your own, as above, might be best.

emjay
Snr FO
Snr FO

#7 Post by emjay » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:37 am

Hmm - exercise caution when using that type of power strip with 'Euro' connectors. Fine with "two wire" hookups - typical of small hand held appliances that are "double insulated" i.e. there is no need for a ground wire in the cable (see appliance body marking).
double_insulated_symbol.png
double_insulated_symbol.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Not safe with "three wire" connections - those need an earth continuity path. This is snuck on the side of the plug (see the metallic strip top an bottom in the picture) - no way that mates with that design of power strip.
Shuko_plug.jpg
Shuko_plug.jpg (3.25 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Modern U.K. wiring practices include earth leakage trip(s) which offer some protection if mains gets internally shorted to the metalwork of the appliance (your body is supplying the "earth path") but these can fail (and are rarely tested by the consumer). Nothing like belt and braces to keep you safe!
The solid earth connection will ensure that the metalwork cannot rise above half the mains voltage during fault clearance (half a mains cycle if the ELCB is working, up to several seconds if not).

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by ian16th » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:03 am

1st step, get the difference between a plug and a socket clear in your mind, and when discussing them.

A plug is the male.

A socket is the female.
Cynicism improves with age

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:23 am

Can't even buy a two-pin adapter in NZ, declared illegal by some 'Elf and Safety mob, but I did manage to find a 220/110 shaver transformer socket to mount on the bathroom wall for my 110 V. razor in a 230 V country. Also got a few 110 V 'female' sockets when visiting the USA that I've wired to NZ 'male' plugs, i.e. made my own adaptors.

Carried a multi assortment of adapters around the World, and ..... two pieces of bare wire ending in crocodile clips. Stuck in the wall socket and secured with a match, or toothpick, they got my electric razor going on more then one occasion. Didn't burn any hotels down. I did take the precaution of having the two wires different lengths, in an attempt to ensure that the two "live" ends didn't touch each other.

Nil Illegitimum Carborundum
( Never Let The Barstewards Grind You Down )

If you ever want another adapter plug when staying in a hotel, call room service, they inevitably have many left behind and are usually glad to get rid of them. I once left mine in New York, and on return the next day asked room service if it had been handed in ? " don't know, love," was the reply, " come down and look " and I was presented with a box of around 100 to pick and choose from, I "think" I identified mine, but at least got a similar one.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by k3k3 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:40 am

Unfortunately the non-UK EU plugs are not the same throughout the EU, the earthing varies from clips on the side to male and female third pins, plus the two different sized Italian 3-pins in a row things.
In my case it was German and UK standards I needed so I put a UK plug on a Schuko power strip and vice versa, plus a couple of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_ ... nd_sockets

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by OFSO » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:05 pm

Plugs ? Luxury ! I just strip the cable back, wind the wires together (yellow green is earth) and put tape around the exposed copper. Much cheaper and the joint is universal.

Capetonian

#12 Post by Capetonian » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:10 pm

Thanks, some good ideas. I am a bit worried about the ones that take all sorts of plugs as I don't think they are very robust or safe. I had something similar once and it used to get very hot as I think the contacts were poor quality and there was some arcing.

It doesn't matter whether the input plug is UK or EU, if it's wrong I can cut it off and change it, it's the socket combination that's important, and a couple of USBs would be a good option. I shall carry on looking.

Good point about the EU ones not being compatible due to the location/type of the earth pin/clip. Apparently the Frogs alone have 3 different types.

I think this will do the job :

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MJ64GBK/ ... UTF8&psc=1

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:13 pm

I don't think that UK plugs are available - all appliances are now fitted with non-detachable plugs - unless you cut the cable and use the 'tail' to connect to your device.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#14 Post by k3k3 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:35 pm

UK plugs to fit yourself are available in all the big hardware barns like B&Q etc.

I moved from Germany to the UK a while ago so I know.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Boac » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:54 pm

G-CPTN - don't tell us you have never re-fitted a plug........?!!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by llondel » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:59 pm

OFSO wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:05 pm
Plugs ? Luxury ! I just strip the cable back, wind the wires together (yellow green is earth) and put tape around the exposed copper. Much cheaper and the joint is universal.
You may jest, but that's pretty close to how stuff is done in the US. The only difference is that they've got little caps to screw down on the twisted wire ends rather than use tape. Perhaps I'll post a picture of some examples when I get home tomorrow.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:36 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:54 pm
G-CPTN - don't tell us you have never re-fitted a plug........?!!
On the contrary, it was one of the life skills that I taught my children before they left home.
I have a 'store' of orphan plugs (of course), but everything seems to come with a non-renewable plug these days.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by ian16th » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:41 pm

I have a plastic carrier bag with about 40+ UK 13A plugs that I replaced with ZA 16A ones.

Might come in handy one day ;)))
Cynicism improves with age

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by llondel » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:34 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:36 pm
I have a 'store' of orphan plugs (of course), but everything seems to come with a non-renewable plug these days.
I think the law requires it now. Once stuff was sold without one and you had to buy a plug and fit it yourself. Seems that enough people did this incompetently so a fitted plug was required on all equipment. Much stuff uses an IEC power lead now, so they're just produced in bulk and everyone buys one and puts it in the box at the factory.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:41 pm

Llondel, our MP at the time, Edward Leigh got this through, I think it was a private members bill. 'Plug not included ' ranked up there with 'battery not included '.

Most Chinese goods include batteries.