Anyone know a lot about digital TV reception (apart from the Chump. of course)

Title says it all
barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Anyone know a lot about digital TV reception (apart from the Chump. of course)

#21 Post by barkingmad » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:07 pm

bo, as “My current Muxes are on 29-48 (post 700Mhz clearance.” do we presume you are using a ‘K’ aerial of good quality, or relying on what just happened to be bolted on and appeared to work for a while?

And which is your transmitter...? :-?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Anyone know a lot about digital TV reception (apart from the Chump. of course)

#22 Post by Boac » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:18 pm

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by barkingmad » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:29 am

Boac wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:18 pm
Non sequitur.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Boac » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:07 am

Not to a Gatwick based pilot!

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by barkingmad » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:28 am

Too f’ing subtle for me! I never thought anyone would be sad enough to try tuning their TV into the local friendly VOR/DME!

Back to the query, is your aerial tailored (can I use that word?!) to your new revised updated Mux channels?

All of whom have recently been crammed into 21-48 so’s the mobile operators can make more squillions at our expense, financially and to the detriment of picture reliability.

Have you explored the website to which I referred and have you got a terrain problem ‘twixt you and the Midhurst mast, assuming you’re not actually pointing at a relay mast?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Boac » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:31 am

For some time now I have had frequent pixelation on the BBC Mux from my local transmitter. That MUX is broadcasting on 694Mhz, whereas all the other Muxes (which are fine) are much lower - under 600. Pixelation on that Mux much worse with high pressure and wind and rain.

I have the correct aerial. I have an amp. I have checked all the cables and connections, and asked everybody and his/her dog for help, but none cometh (including the BBC). I have put a 700Mhz filter in circuit in case the mobile bands are causing problems. No change, just a slight attenuation as expected.

What is it about the higher frequency that could cause this? This seems to defeat everyone and is very annoying!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by ian16th » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:04 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:28 am
Too f’ing subtle for me! I never thought anyone would be sad enough to try tuning their TV into the local friendly VOR/DME!
In the days when the TxRx1154/1155 was the standard HF kit, the crews used it much more when there was a Test Match on!
Cynicism improves with age

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by barkingmad » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:15 pm

ian16th wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:04 pm
barkingmad wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:28 am
In the days when the TxRx1154/1155 was the standard HF kit, the crews used it much more when there was a Test Match on!
I confess to listening to good old “pre-woke” Radio 4 on the ADF on long boring trips, of which there were many.

And it worked best if the needle was motored round 90 degrees from the beacon direction and parked there.

Somewhere in my instruments lectures aeons ago I would have had that explained but too many glasses of ‘electric soup’ since U/T days and that knowledge has dissolved.

And I have a feeling some clever person with a functioning memory is going to post the reason why here and put me to shame. Sorry, what was your name again...?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by barkingmad » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:43 pm

C’mon boac, you who are fond of asking other O-N posters questions and hassling them for answers have so far dodged all the queries I’ve put to you, in an honest attempt to help with your problem.

Reposting you original post doesn’t encourage me to put in any more effort on the topic so as of now I withdraw and leave you to curse channel 48 ‘cos it’s not my problem! Happy viewing, or not as the case may be. :ymsick:

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by Boac » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:50 pm

Dang me! there was lil' ol' me thinking I had answered quite a lot of your questions (on the duty postage stamp).

I will, however, answer one more - although I change my underpants every Friday - whether I need to or not - I do not change my aerial every time OFCOM decides to re-MUX.

Hey ho.