Updating an iPad2

Title says it all
Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Updating an iPad2

#1 Post by Tall Bird » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Don't laugh and no sneering for buying Apple but I have an elderly 3yrs+ iPad 2 and am debating whether or not to risk pressing the button to download the upgrade to iOS9.1. Has anyone done this with an iPad2?

Last time I did an upgrade quite a few functions were lost temporarily including the ability to fill in forms. That was disastrous because I was transcribing records at the time. I gather Apple upgrade and then develop patches for older systems to keep up.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Updating an iPad2

#2 Post by rgbrock1 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:23 pm

Tall Bird wrote:Don't laugh and no sneering for buying Apple but I have an elderly 3yrs+ iPad 2 and am debating whether or not to risk pressing the button to download the upgrade to iOS9.1. Has anyone done this with an iPad2?

Last time I did an upgrade quite a few functions were lost temporarily including the ability to fill in forms. That was disastrous because I was transcribing records at the time. I gather Apple upgrade and then develop patches for older systems to keep up.

I would advise against that, Tall Bird. I upgraded to iOS 9.1 on my iPad Air 2 and wish I hadn't. Battery life has measurably decreased and performance, across the board, seems to have taken a slight hit. With an older iPad such as yours the hits might be more pronounced.

YMMV.
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

Keef

#3 Post by Keef » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:39 pm

I updated my iPad 2 to 9.0 and then to 9.1 and wish I hadn't. Needless to say, there's no way to go back.

It's a lot slower, some stuff doesn't work, and it then went off and "updated" the format of my contacts list that it had decided to store in "the cloud" (that CuNim over Felixstowe, I suppose) so that I can no longer update the contacts in my iPhone because that's still on 7.0.4 and staying there - and therefore not compatible with the enforced update. Fortunately, I had a backup in Google, which came to the rescue. Until the 9.1 update, the backup was on my PC, but that's not "Apple Policy" now, it seems.

My conclusion is that Apple has gone too far with telling users what they will be allowed to do with their devices. I think we buy them and own them, although it's starting to look more like a rental these days.

I'd been contemplating spending money on an iPhone 6s, but after reading what now doesn't work on those (like, copying over stuff from an earlier device/OS) I decided against.

Shame, really. The iPad 2 and the iPhone 4s were good devices when they were new.

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Tall Bird » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:12 pm

Thank you RGB and Keef for confirming my fears. Must remember to tell my parents not to update their Air.

Having paid a significant amount of dosh for the Pad, it offends my inherent meanness that one may have to bin a generally ok appliance sooner rather than later. However, bits are falling off some pages and it is slow to charge. BTW is there faster electrickery in Canada 'cos it didn't take so long to charge there?

I got rid of an old Samsung and treated myself to an iPhone 6 in August. So far I am pleased with it. A couple of things which my non-tech brunette brain cannot figure out:
a) nearly all apps etc I've put on my iPad appear on the Phone and vice versa without me doing owt but photos don't
b) my old-fashioned PC runs Windows 7 Professional yet I was surprised to see several Apple apps eg Notes appear on the Outlook screen. Should I be worried? :-?