Hacked off!.....

Title says it all
CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Hacked off!.....

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:06 pm

Hacked off, very, very hacked off!

For some reason the C: drive on Mrs C16's computer had almost filled up and only had 18GB left, showing a red bar in 'This PC', so I used Acronis Disk Director to move space from a far too big adjacent partition which contained all the programs she uses. All went well with the transfer until it said something or other was corrupted and it dumped me with the 200GB Program partition now showing a capacity of a few MB. No data has been lost as that's all in other partitions but it's taken me almost 11 hours to sort it all out, re-partition the disk and reinstall most of the programs. It now tells me that the Windows 10 2004 big update needs to be installed :(( . Not got a good feeling about that but it can wait until morning (-| .
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Hacked off!.....

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:46 am

C16:T C:Drive to a new 1T drive as a backup, intending to make it the main drive as original drive is quite old in computer years.
Problem is that clone has a full T partition and another with 10G out of 1T with the recovery drive. ~X(
Can I change the size of the main partition to utilize most of the extra 1T? :-?
All help appreciated. ^:)^

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:46 am

What is a "T partition"? How big WAS the old C Drive?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:23 pm

I have used Paragon Partition program.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:44 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:46 am
C16:T C:Drive to a new 1T drive as a backup, intending to make it the main drive as original drive is quite old in computer years.
Problem is that clone has a full T partition and another with 10G out of 1T with the recovery drive. ~X(
Can I change the size of the main partition to utilize most of the extra 1T? :-?
All help appreciated. ^:)^

PP
You can. Just re-partition the drive and use the extra drive space as, simplest solution, another drive. One of the previous posters has suggested a useful tool to do this. Just ensure you don't screw your boot drive up.

Have fun, re-partition all that new space as a Ubuntu boot. Become one of the Linux cognoscenti and thus one of the beautiful people unlike those other mere Unix nerds! ;))) :)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:22 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:46 am
C16:.....All help appreciated. ^:)^
PP - I know enough to get myself into trouble on frequent occasions so not much help to you. I've always used Paragon Partition up until now but for some reason I couldn't get it to do what I wanted. At least it left me with a working partition, unlike Acronis Disk Director.

As an aside, I did the Windows 10 2004 update on Mrs C16's machine this morning - the first attempt failed to install and it took 3 hours to download again (25Mbps connection) and install.....
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:17 pm

PHX - I'm having an especially thick day! I still do not understand your post about your drive - can you screenshot whichever partitioning programme you use?

If you don't use one, Windows has a built-in useable one which will clarify what you have partitioned.

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by izod tester » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:15 pm

SystemRescueCD is a Linux distribution which you can use to make a bootable CD or USB memory stick. It includes GParted which is a Graphical Partition Editor. It will resize, move, delete and create partitions. Very reliable.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by llondel » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:36 am

It is possible to resize a partition down using Linux. There is a chance that it will screw up however, so you might want to take backups of the really valuable stuff first.