VPN - should I get one?

Title says it all
CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

VPN - should I get one?

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:51 pm

Some years ago I purchased a rarely offered lifetime licence for Firetrust's Mailwasher Pro - usually it's a 1,2 or 3 year licence. I've always been very pleased both with the software and the very rare occasions I've asked for support. In the last few minutes Firetrust have now offered their first lifetime licence of their Hideaway VPN at a price of £158.06 (USD$199.00).

Firetrust Hideaway VPN

As I said, Firetrust lifetime licences are rarely offered and always have very short term availability. A three year licence is £81.32, discounted from £119.01, so a lifetime licence at £158.06 for unlimited devices is attractive....but do I need a VPN folks? If internet speeds are a consideration then there is no problem as I have around 40Mbps download and 30MBps upload availability.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: VPN - should I get one?

#2 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:32 pm

I had a free VPN from Zone Alarm. I eventually realised that the VPN interfered with one of my apps.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:36 pm

This may not be a consideration but I have a static IP address supplied by my wireless ISP. This is so I can view my CCTV cameras on my phone etc without having the hassle of setting up port forwarding that I used to have to do with the dynamic IP address with my previous landline ISP. Will getting a VPN affect that?
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:58 pm

V16, it didn't affect my Visonjc (aka ADT)

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:48 pm

Thanks PN.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:04 am

Just experimenting with the free trial and it seems very good but oddly when I select London in Hideaway I get Error 105 when I access TOP and the following message:
The owner of this website (www.TOP.org) has banned the autonomous system number (ASN) your IP address is in (20473) from accessing this website.
With oversea options in Hideaway I have no problem with that website.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:58 am

As long as you get a site warning then you can do something about it. I was blundering about with the flakey app.

It didn't help that my 3 devices all have different glitches not related to any VPN. My laptop won't let me log in to my bank. My Kindle won't load the Telegraph. My smart phone doesn't have an easy app for my ISP email account.