New Printer Needed

Title says it all
ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

New Printer Needed

#1 Post by ian16th » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:54 am

Well my Canon TS8240 that I bought April 2019 is 'beyond economical repair'!

One of the ink cartridges is still on its 1st replacement after the set-up one. I definitely wasn't overworked.

Any suggestions as to what make & model I should consider? Because of space constraints I need a combined printer/scanner/copier type.
Cynicism improves with age

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: New Printer Needed

#2 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:14 am

I don't buy electronic equipment very often so my suggestion is a bit out of date but I have been using a HP Pro Laser Printer All in one M125NW for a few years and offers the functions you need. It has even a WiFi connection and it works nicely. I bought an ink cartridge at a discount price (now it has double). It survived practically a couple of house moves on its original packages and it jammed the paper just once.

Obviously not much use to you since it is getting out of stock - but in TOP there is a discussion about the scam associated with the ink price and there are some suggestions about printers.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ian16th » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:03 am

My printer fettler has more or less admitted that they buggered up my printer and have agreed to replace it with a new one that takes the same cartridges.

:-bd

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:39 am

Result.

Regarding the ink scam, we have a Rotarian in our club, he is a millionaire. His personalised registration on one of his Bentleys is INKY.

I favour HP printers. You can get one for the price of a new set of cartridges. Now I only get one that uses the same cartridges. It goes TU, take ink out, bin printer, get new one.

Still remember my first inkjet at £500+ and a huge flat bed scanner, can't remember that price. Now I won't even pay £500 for a new laptop.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:31 pm

In the mid/late 80's I had a part time business printing Company aviation manuals and reports, carbon paper pad originals etc. My first laser printer was £3500, black print only. I went to a Desktop Publishing Exhibition at that time in Islington. On display was a desktop colour laser printer priced at £15,000. Two years ago I bought a HP Pro MFP M477 fdw Colour Laser Printer - can't remember the exact price, about £400. I'm still using the toner cartridges that were supplied in the machine - about 10% left now. Great printer but now superceded...although Amazon have one at £1699.97!!!!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:04 pm

Deviating to exhibitions, I went to a free computer expo at Olympia courtesy of Computer Shopper. Met the guys on the Nextbase stand who did Autoroute before Microsoft bought them out. Met one, Reuben Haquette, who agree to sell me a copy of each European country at giveaway prices. The Norwegian one was brilliant. At that time they had translations of useful phrases. I remember 'Full tank tak' but they for the Noggie one alone one for an Arab 'I love your blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes will you sleep with me tonight'

I wish I still had it.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#7 Post by jimtherev » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:40 pm

Another fan of the HP MFP M277.
I see that Amazon have a M283 for under £400, Ebay under £300, which looks as though it's an upgrade of mine even to the duplex attachment to print both sides of the paper. Colour quality not as good as a good inkjet photo printer of course - I have one of those for high q. jobs, but agree that I waste more ink than I use due to the heads drying out.

Well pleased with the HP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by llondel » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:14 pm

If you don't print that often, get a laser printer, then you don't have issues with the ink drying up and clogging nozzles.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by ian16th » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:06 pm

I've had my 8200 replaced by an 8300 with a 42% discount and a set of new cartridges.