BT Internet

Title says it all
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

BT Internet

#1 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:12 pm

This morning I received an email from someone dated 18 Dec. This afternoon one from someone else dated 31 October.

There are two common factors : both are in my club and both have BT Internet as their ISP.

Anyone else received old emails today?

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

Re: BT Internet

#2 Post by jimtherev » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:29 pm

Not today, and seldom late as that. However, there does seem to be a bit of a conflict between btinternet and other isp's: gmail and yahoo being notable here.
I send out a 'joke' a day to about 50 email addresses. When Btint was my isp - until 6 months ago when I got fed up with the service - I often had either my gmail or my yahoo 'customers' bounce, only it took over 24 hours to let me know it had happened.

ISTR that BT had a close business tie-up with Yahoo until about 3 years ago; it was after this ended that things began to get dodgy.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by llondel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:11 am

The big providers implement things like SPF, DKIM and DMARC to check the likely validity of incoming email as an attempt to reduce the spam they have to filter by other means. I did finally figure out how to get gmail to reliably accept mail from my domains but they're all compliant with the alphabet[*] soup now.

[*] see what I did there? If not, never mind.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:12 am

Notexactlybutcanyouexplainfortheslowoneswhatyoumeanpleasellondel?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:13 am

I had another 17 Dec email this morning from one of the senders. I got the originals from both of them at the time. So far these are the only ones.

I thought it might have been a faulty backup restore but in that case I think it would have been lots of emails. We have a meeting at lunchtime, be interesting to see if others experienced this too.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by llondel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:47 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:12 am
Notexactlybutcanyouexplainfortheslowoneswhatyoumeanpleasellondel?
If you mean the starred bit, gmail is run by Google who are now owned by Alphabet. Also a reference to the acronyms.

As for the acronyms themselves, your friendly search engine can explain them better than I can.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:04 pm

I found that BT Internet apparently do some form of data swap between server centres, I found a reference of sorts in a forum where emails sent had been delayed up to 3 weeks.

In this case 4 emails, one from one person and 3 from another but the same UP address block had arrived on time but have arrived again. The latest was two copies of the same 17 Dec message.

Clearly a BT FU