Tablet 10''+ vs laptop

Title says it all
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Tablet 10''+ vs laptop

#1 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:22 pm

Over the last few weeks I have been discussing the scenario of not purchasing a lap-top should the need arise and replace it with a 4G 64gb/3gb tablet with an external keyboard - at about half price.

As I use it mainly to write text and some browsing I see it as a move it could work. I see two issues that could cause problems in the long term: the tablet battery would wear off rapidly to the daily use (many cycles or stress to the cells due to the constant charging) and some strains due to the smaller screen size. I met a bloke once who has bought an upscale tablet and told me he hasn't turn on a computer/laptop for a good deal of time even for business use - he was involved in oil-shipping.

Any one has done the movement?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Tablet 10''+ vs laptop

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:43 pm

I have an Ipad, an 8" Samsung tablet that has cellular capability (unused), a Kindle Fire, and a generic cheapo 10" tablet w/keyboard.
The tablets are used for reading ebooks, browsing, and watching movies(usually downloaded) and streaming TV. All are WiFi.
They aren't too powerful so multitasking is a little taxing.
Tablets like MicroSoft Surface and higher end Samsung Tabs are basically laptop replacements.
Battery usage not an issue, but the cheaper tablets don't seem to hold a charge with long dis-use.
Good luck

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:51 pm

Raspberry Pi? - obviously with added peripherals - but would it be possible?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:01 pm

I agree about reduce laptop usage when you have a tablet. I use my laptop for screen size, photo manipulation, writing, spreadsheets, financial and have multiple windows. At 15 inches I have just enough real estate for two good size windows.
I have an 8 inch HD Fire tablet and I use it less now that I have a 6 inch tablet phone. I really must reset the Fire as it has some glitches. The 6 in is good enough for browsing this forum, searches, photography, and reading the paper.
The laptop is much better for formal type work and multi tasking though I use it for much less. I really need to replace it, it is 8 years old but like you I am reluctant to replace it as it still works.
Could I do with just one? No way

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:43 pm

In addition to three PCs I have a Chromebook and a Huawei 10" media tablet (£89 from Morgans). The tablet is in constant use. Utterly brilliant Android OS. The Chromebook is used for educating family children in the UK via Zoom. The Chromebook OS is unwieldy. The main PC is in use for archiving, editing and printing. Old and slow but that is my fault for sticking with an outdated OS. The other PCs are dedicated to internet TV, plugged into living room TVs, although there again the Huawei Media pad is superb. Horses for courses.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:52 pm

Thanks for the answer so far. I would say OFSO's "Horses for courses" describe it accurately. It is doable but only just. Once I need something more that what I am doing now the laptop becomes a necessity.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:31 pm

I’m just about to delve further into the black realms of digitalia due to having to buy a new laptop, this present one is clearly dying more and more each day, so I took the opportunity to purchase a replacement, same HP brand, during a pre-Christmas Sale allowing me a 40% reduction in price, so now need the local Men Wot Do to transfer all my current stuff as is to the new one. I have no intention of trying to learn new stuff, like Windows 10, or Office 365 ( at a price now ). I’ve beaten Windows h’8 into submission and would have been happy to stay with Windows ’98. It has been suggested that I get the present solid state hard drive put into the new machine, but HP wagged a finger and said that would immediately invalidate their Warranty, good for two years. But … do I need it, I have never had the experience of having to invoke any warranty during the honeymoon period throughout Life, everything has failed after that period, so is it worth the hassle of trying to just get everything copied, which I know will cause me hair tearing moments in the coming months ? If I disappear off the face of the Internet, don’t worry, I will, eventually, find a way back.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:51 pm

I think that you will find that the Operating System (Windows 10) will already be installed and the local Men that Do wil be restricted to copying over you data only,

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:09 am

G-CPTN Surprisingly no operating system installed, that was an extra charge that I didn't pay. Will try to attend Men Wot Do this week and see what transpires, Thanks.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:03 am

ExSp33db1rd ,

why HP will react about/ cancel the warranty for a part of the service they don't actually provide ie the operating system. Would they object if you installed Linux? Regarding various Windows: I had this conversation with a friend and the difficulty moving from 7 to 8.1 and then to 10. I find no significant differences (Control C/V creating files etc) so I am not sure it is a big issue.

I have all my docs on a folder and I just copy the folder between machines and hard drives. Only other thing I need too take care of is the screen saver and the background image

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by OFSO » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:40 pm

Interesting this transferring of data. Both Huawei and Xiaomi devices are capable of searching the local ether, finding other phones in the household, and lifting everything you need. With a few exceptions, which Mr Google has on record.

OTOH setting up a new PC is an utter nightmare.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:09 pm

I think I need a bit of help with the setting up: what does it include in your case because in mine all I need to is download and install the dropbox, an office type program, a picture as background image and a screen saver? It doesn't sound more difficult than re-downloading the apps on a mobile but there is something I don't see it!

ribrash

#13 Post by ribrash » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:45 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:43 pm
In addition to three PCs I have a Chromebook and a Huawei 10" media tablet (£89 from Morgans). The tablet is in constant use. Utterly brilliant Android OS. The Chromebook is used for educating family children in the UK via Zoom. The Chromebook OS is unwieldy. The main PC is in use for archiving, editing and printing. Old and slow but that is my fault for sticking with an outdated OS. The other PCs are dedicated to internet TV, plugged into living room TVs, although there again the Huawei Media pad is superb. Horses for courses.
I looked on Morgans website for tablets but sadly they don't seem to do them any more. :((

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:48 pm

Alcatel has some good tablets but nothing exciting!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by OFSO » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:49 am

Morgan buys end-of-the-line and factory refurbished or reboxed equipment so it all depends. I've had one bad buy from them, an insensitive phone, which I returned, and loads of good stuff including a mini PC with Bluetooth and the Huawei tablet.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:17 am

RiS, the biggest difference I suspect is that programs are integrated and have almost infinite variety of settings.
Then MS downloads shed loads of 'essential' updates requiring reboots on the way and screwing things up in the process. I allow 3 days to restore or configure my laptop.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by llondel » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:34 pm

OFSO wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:40 pm
Interesting this transferring of data. Both Huawei and Xiaomi devices are capable of searching the local ether, finding other phones in the household, and lifting everything you need. With a few exceptions, which Mr Google has on record.

OTOH setting up a new PC is an utter nightmare.
Not if it's a Linux PC, for that all the user data resides under /home so you can just copy stuff across. Upgrading is fairly painless too, if you've set it up with /home on its own partition from the start, you can just install the new operating system on the rest of the disk and tell it to use the existing /home partition (preferably without ticking the "format" box). I've done that several times. on multiple machines now.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:13 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:17 am
RiS, the biggest difference I suspect is that programs are integrated and have almost infinite variety of settings.
Then MS downloads shed loads of 'essential' updates requiring reboots on the way and screwing things up in the process. I allow 3 days to restore or configure my laptop.
Thanks for the answer - I use the free office programs which are pretty light. I was talking with a friend this morning and we discussed using on-line tools versions pre-installed software and unless the installed version has some very special feature or the internet connection is uncertain it does save time and space on the disk.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:44 pm

Provided online is free or cost neutral for a purchase copy.

MS would prefer a subscription model. I haven't done the maths but it might be 3 years works the same as an outright purchase except after 3 years you start again with the latest update or you buy a new one or you soldier on with the old one. I am using Office 2007 and also Wordperfect 11.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:29 pm

I like on-line programs because they are often free too.

I had a very bad experience with Wordperfect in 1993 with a very random pagination so I would steer clear although it should be pretty different since then.

What happens after three years on MS Office - do they stop the updates or they block you from using it?