Open/Libre Office

Title says it all
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Open/Libre Office

#1 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:01 pm

Do we have any experts here? I have a macro query.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Open/Libre Office

#2 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:14 am

Also ... having to get to grips with a new laptop, unfortunately, not wishing to pay Microsoft for Office 365, or whatever they call it, so any opinions about Open Office versus Libre Office ( this has been discussed before, but forget where/when to look back ) ? and also what e-mail programmes are recommended to replace my previous Outlook / Outlook Express that I am SOOoo familiar with. Regret never had to bother in the past, so am now on the back foot, any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks. ExS.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by llondel » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:41 am

Evolution is a Outlook clone, originally for Linux but there appears to be a Windows port of it too. I use Thunderbird, mainly because it's cross-platform so I can use it on pretty much anything.

As for office suites, I appear to have Libre Office. Works fine for anything I need it to do.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:36 am

Mille Grazie

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:13 am

I have heard from a computer technician, in a relaxed conversation not a sales drive (a friend was discussing how to better set up his new lap-top), about Apache office. I use WPS and in my original thread I was told by Slasher to download just what I need and not the whole package to avoid unattractive features.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:24 am

Tusen takk fra jeg også for å dele dette med leserne!

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by tango15 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:27 am

llondel wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:41 am
Evolution is a Outlook clone, originally for Linux but there appears to be a Windows port of it too. I use Thunderbird, mainly because it's cross-platform so I can use it on pretty much anything.

As for office suites, I appear to have Libre Office. Works fine for anything I need it to do.
+1

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Boac » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:03 pm

Another vote for Libre Office (OO - 'reborn' - NB Open Office is effectively 'dead' as far as progress goes). I have now resolved the query at Post 1 and have successfully 'translated' a large programme 'suite' from VBA into LO. Working fine. I have the whole LO suite and have had no issues. The only caveat is that 'help' is difficult to come by and while there are some who do help, there is a cohort of laughingly called 'helpers' on the internet who have (kindly) dragged themselves through the development of OO and now insist on all newbies becoming proficient in C++ and other skills and 'suffering' as they have before they will even offer any help. Of interest there is a site called debugpoint.com which is offering a series of very useful tutorials on LO and have responded to a request by me for a further tutorial which should arrive soon. A welcome breath of fresh air.

Also ++ for Thunderbird.