Thunderbird alternative for Windows 10?

Title says it all
CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Thunderbird alternative for Windows 10?

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:12 pm

I've used Thunderbird for years in Vista, 7 and 8.1 but like many others who have upgraded to Windows 10 I have found that no matter what I try in order to sort it, Thunderbird 38.3.0 randomly freezes for up to a minute especially, but not always, whilst downloading emails. I think I must have tried every suggested solution on support forums etc.

Firefox 42.0 runs fine and although this problem with Thunderbird has been known about since Windows 10 beta days Mozilla don't seem able to fix it.

So, a change is called for - what do you use?
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Thunderbird alternative for Windows 10?

#2 Post by ian16th » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:11 pm

Windows/7?
Cynicism improves with age

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:53 pm

ian16th wrote:Windows/7?

No, Windows 10 is fine - the problem is with Mozilla and their inability to fix the problem that loads of Windows 10 users are having.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ian16th » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:57 am

The problem couldn't possibly be that Micro$oft have introduced something into Win/10 to expressly make life difficult for any Open Source organisations. Could it?
Cynicism improves with age

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by rgbrock1 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:41 pm

There's a lot of chatter on the net about Thunderbird and Win 10: most of it not good.

Have you tried Mailbird? It looks very similar to Thunderbird, has about the same features but is updated pretty regularly. (It's free too!)
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:39 am

Yes I tried Mailbird yesterday and it initially looked good. However I use Mailwasher to trap spam prior to Mailwasher triggering a mail program. Mailbird downloads mail automatically and apparently does not have a facility to stop that so it doesn't work for me.

I've now downloaded Postbox and it's superb. Okay, it costs a one off US$10 or £12 sterling but it works well, is licensed to the person not to a computer so can be used on multiple computers, integrates with Mailwasher and is very similar to Thunderbird's layout and function.

I didn't realise that Mozilla are only issuing security updates for Thunderbird - they stopped updating the program about 3 years ago - so there's no hope of the problems it has with Windows 10 being sorted.