PC Laptop Start-up password now req'd.

Title says it all
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

PC Laptop Start-up password now req'd.

#1 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:00 am

Help ! My HP ProBook 454os PC Laptop still with Windows 8.1 has suddenly required a password on start-up. I have touched nothing, and can't find any "settings" to cancel this, Any Clues ?

I have previously hit the start button, and been taken straight to the desktop showing all my icons and Start Bar etc, so have only had to click on the Outlook Mail Icon, or the Browser of choice, more recently Chrome. But now .... I get a rainbow patterned page with the requirement to put in the password for a rarely used Hotmail address, why that ? Fortunately I had a note of the password that I had to establish many years ago for some sort of Microsoft account that was forced on me, and it still works, but I want to go back to my now password start up procedure. Waddoo i doo ?

This only started today, so it isn't even in April Fool's Day, and I'm not aware of any Upgrades in recent days. 'tis a puzzlement, said Alice.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: PC Laptop Start-up password now req'd.

#2 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:33 am

Will it start-up in safe mode? What is a 'rainbow-patterned page? A picture would help. You either have an infected machine or have probably opted to sign in with a M$ account.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:28 pm

The page is just an artistic semi-circular design using the colours of the rainbow. The password I have to use is indeed my MS account one, established a long time ago using a "hardly ever used" Hotmail address, and never needed for this start up function before.

How can I start in Safe Mode when I can't so anything until putting my password into this only available page, which offers me nothing but the password slot?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:26 am

Never seen anything like that. Normal M$ log-in is a rectangle on a coloured background. Any chance of a piccy so we know what you are talking about? Google images comes up with this - is that what you are talking about?
index.jpg
index.jpg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 732 times
Since I believe you are saying you CAN log in (??) - CAN YOU ?? - what anti-virus do you run? I would think a boot-time scan would be high on your list of priorities. Also what is your log-in setting? I cannot recall W8.1 now (went from 7 to 10), but in 10 it is in Settings/Accounts. I think in 8 you have to 'change account picture' or summat. If not go via Control Panel/User Accounts. Any search engine will guide you.

What actually happens when you start in Safe Mode?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:42 am

Boac I am still using W8.1 and from this screen you hit escape and you get a page where you get a window to insert the password.

I would try to start with the password insertion and then go from the Control Panel and deactivate the need to insert a password.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Boac » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:52 am

ExSP? Looks like RiS might be able to assist.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by OFSO » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:23 pm

Safe Mode starts from the boot screen, before Windows starts. It's achieved by hitting one of the F keys (can't remember which) which stops Windows loading and brings up several options.

These "no reason" changes are a PITA. Mrs OFSO had her phone lose most of her contacts yesterday. Had not been restarted and all automatic updates disabled, so WHY? Turned out it was showing the Google list and not the phone list or the combined list. She never used the contact list, just this once needed a rarely-used number...

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:24 pm

Boac wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:52 am
ExSP? Looks like RiS might be able to assist.
I am not sure how it can be of use to you but I would go for a normal start ( I understand you have the password) and then right click on the shut down button to open the system card.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#9 Post by jimtherev » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:58 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:23 pm
Safe Mode starts from the boot screen, before Windows starts. It's achieved by hitting one of the F keys (can't remember which) which stops Windows loading and brings up several options....
Usually F12. Keep tapping it until you get start-up options; select "Safe Mode" which loads the minimum amount of guff to get the thing actually going. Then (only used W8 for a month or two and fortunately was able to go back to '7) if I remember rightly you can find what you need under "Settings" > "Personalisation"

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:34 am

Boac I am still using W8.1 and from this screen you hit escape and you get a page where you get a window to insert the password.

I would try to start with the password insertion and then go from the Control Panel and deactivate the need to insert a password.
Thanks everyone. The picture shown in #4 by Boac is exactly what I now get, instead of the previous desktop page with all my icons etc, i.e. ready to go.

I then right click the mouse and get a rectangle to insert username, which is already filled in with the username I use for a Microsoft Account, and re-insert the password that I use for that account ( except that I have not used it for years, just lucky that I had the password still noted ! )

......... then go from the Control Panel and deactivate the need to insert a password

that's the option I can't find ! Assistance to that would be appreciated.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:31 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:34 am

Thanks everyone. The picture shown in #4 by Boac is exactly what I now get, instead of the previous desktop page with all my icons etc, i.e. ready to go.

I then right click the mouse and get a rectangle to insert username, which is already filled in with the username I use for a Microsoft Account, and re-insert the password that I use for that account ( except that I have not used it for years, just lucky that I had the password still noted ! )

......... then go from the Control Panel and deactivate the need to insert a password

that's the option I can't find ! Assistance to that would be appreciated.
ExS. For some reason I can't reach it all the way, but here it is: from System - System protection on the right side of the pop up Window titled System Properties then you will see some "index cards" on the top of the new window. There you will see the user profiles option - desktop settings related to your sign-in.

My lap-top doesn't open it - it tries but it takes ages but it should work.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Boac » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:55 am

Search Engine?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:22 am

Enter Safe Mode Before Windows 10 or 8 Boots | HP Computers | HP
Press the F4 key for Enable Safe Mode. Safe Mode starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services.
Press the F5 key for Enable Safe Mode with Networking. ...
Press the F6 key for Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Boac » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:28 am

PN
in post #11 ExSP wrote:that's the option I can't find ! Assistance to that would be appreciated.
That is his query. He has been told about Safe!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:43 am

C #9

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Boac » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:57 am

If 12 > 9 use 12?

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:26 am

From Google .......... Select Windows key + R and then enter netplwiz ( not a lot of people know that )

This sent me to a page where the requirement to use a password to sign in was ticked. ( not by me, and I'm the only one who has used this device for the last 10 plus years. ) so Whoopee - unticked the command, hit Apply and OK !!! shut down and re-started - Didn't work.

I give up, not the end of the World, but WTF has it changed after all these years ?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:06 am

ExSp, snap. But as I mentioned in trabb it no longer needs a password out of hibernation so Dom improvement.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Boac » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:07 am

ExSP - you need to be an administrator (qv), I think, to change that setting - are you?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:08 am

ExSp, I guess on your last it is 'industry' pressure to improve security. Why do some companies insist on passwords and complex ones at that.