ADSL speed dropping

Title says it all
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: ADSL speed dropping

#41 Post by Boac » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:06 am

Jim - there is nothing you can do to improve the 'supply'. Pole distribution is very common. All you can do is ensure your internal system is right. The only way you can determine that is to do a speed check at the point where your line enters your property - wired, not wireless - at the master socket (if you have one). The main thing to check is that the speed you measure at the router (NB WIRED) is the same or close to the 'downstream' speed of your line as indicated in the router control panel.

Yes, as I explained your 'resets' do 'improve' the speed but you will doubtless have 'errors' which may or may not affect what you are doing. Sometimes simple things like removing the 'bell wire' connection can produce an improvement.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#42 Post by jimtherev » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:00 pm

Yep Boac; noted. But really not too worried. Just don't need anything too high, and resetting is easy enough... and yes, I've done the 'test socket' bit: improves things a bit, but I'm sure the noise is external.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun May 02, 2021 6:35 pm

OK I have an update or two:

Sometime last week the provider / a person from technical support called me to inquire if the line runs normally now. I told him I have no news and he answered it was a logical conclusion because I had cut the power to the router. We agreed to let the router to run for a few days and see if it improves or they can observe the running of the line. Point one for RiS as the initial reaction was "not our problem you are with the normal tolerance/parameters". Today I visited the secondary residence the router was up and running so I followed the advice offered here and took a measurement from the router homepage

I asked a person who was there if the measurement was right - he said it was too low and the speed doesn't just drop over the time - the person works for the provider and his job is to understand internet speeds in various locations. So I called the helpline tell them the router is on and could they please check if everything is normal because it doesn't appear to be. My friend talked to the person on the helpline and they agreed that it needs to be checked as the area gives a better speed than the one I am experiencing. Soon after the case was assigned to a technician and answer is expected later this week.
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-05-02-14-44-19-631_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by Boac » Sun May 02, 2021 9:02 pm

Fingers crossed there, RiS. Hopefully they will do something. The line attenuation is high and loads of errors.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun May 02, 2021 9:25 pm

Boac, the person reading the data pointed out errors as well. It is not my primary internet connection so I can wait.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:52 am

An update:

In short it was the router.

I arranged a visit by a technician. He started by checking data speeds from the exchange closest to my place, to the point where the cable comes into the house (speed 6 Mbs) at a distance 3.5 km from the closest switchboard DSLAM (?) (I am not sure about the terminology) and right out of the point where the cable comes out of the the wall, again 6 Mbs. He pointed out the cables on the splitter were wrongly connected. Even after the connection the speed was at 2 Mbs so he said it was the modem/router. As it was provided by the company he made the arrangements for a new one to be dispatched.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by Boac » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:36 am

Fingers (not wires...) crossed!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:55 am

I found an interesting App ANALITI that presents a remarkable level of detail that greatly exceeds my level of knowledge. I have only used it at my SiLs house.
He a router and two boosters. The first coverage info shows the speeds, signal strength, etc, on 8 comparative pie charts.
On another the max physical speed is shown as 290 Mbps. On the coverage the three AP show around 29/4