BSOD

Title says it all
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

BSOD

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:05 pm

I upgraded to a 256k SSD about six months ago and am now getting BSOD's all together too frequently (every 2-3 days). :((
It reboots without me having to do anything but it takes quite a while to wake up again. :-o
What gives? :-?
Any ideas? :-s
No new software except DVD ripping SW.

PP

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

Re: BSOD

#2 Post by jimtherev » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:27 pm

:-? Is it the traditional BSOD or just a 'freeze'? I've been getting the latter since an automatic Windows update about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Heard something about a rogue update which Micro$haft are addressing, so waiting patiently. If it doesn't happen soon I'm going to have to reinstall or repair windows but it's such a bore, making sure that all my stuff really is backed up (been caught before you know) and the other sizeable software suites which never seem to survive a repair.
<SIGH>

Haven't answered your question, of course! Have you done a chkdisk? What did it tell you? Unless you do a lot - a real lot - of heavy stuff, gaming, lots of graphics and so on, the SSD should be pretty robust for years yet. But if the thing shows any errors at all, best to replace it. Its replacement will probably be half the price you paid six months ago. :-?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ian16th » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:29 pm

My SSD also quit, I went back to HDD.

HDD's tend to pack up progressively, in that you get intermittent read/write errors and you have time to recover data.

The SSD failure was the only time I irretrievably lost data.
Cynicism improves with age

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:37 pm

This is a blue screen with a countdown timer for "crash dump". After dump is complete it shuts down and restarts without any action on my part.
Restart does ask if you want normal or safe start and if no selection, after countdown, restarts in normal mode.
Seems to take its time restarting and sometimes takes several trys to reopen Chrome.
Still, not near as long to restart from HDD.
Windows 7, so don't know about updates.

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:51 am

You will see from my topic on BSOD that you can go part-way to find what is causing it - a search for "BSOD analysis" will tell.

In the mean time I advise you to set any programmes that allow it to make automatic back-ups (Word, Excel etc etc) of any important stuff to reduce the risk of losing a carefully constructed document in a BSOD :((

I still get them occasionally, cause never clearly identified - I still think it is either the SATA controller/cables or the power supply.

Good luck.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by unifoxos » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:00 am

I upgraded to a 256k SSD

I'd have got a bigger one.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:01 am

Mine's bigger than his................... =))

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:08 pm

256G #-o

PP