Windows Update May 21

Title says it all
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Windows Update May 21

#1 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu May 13, 2021 7:06 am

Do you approach a Windows Update in fear and tredidation?

Updated over night then:

Power on, computer dead.

Rebooted, entered PIN, reboot froze after splash screen.

Rebooted, configuring update, don't turn off the computer, soon at 100% complete, but nothing except don't switch off.

Then after a few minutes at 100% it rebooted into configuring update....
This time it stopped at 56% then straight to 100 % and did this 2 or 3 times. No

Finally it opened, but what havoc has been done inside?

At least Classic Shell still works.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

Re: Windows Update May 21

#2 Post by k3k3 » Thu May 13, 2021 11:13 am

Same here, things seem to be working now.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OFSO » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:35 pm

Microsoft has announced that WIN 10 support will end on 14th October 2025. If God hasn't withdrawn support for OFSO I'm sure my copy of XP will still be staggering along then.....

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:43 pm

Rumours abound of Windows 11.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:24 am

Does that mean that W10.1.1.1 is no longer valid?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:17 am

I got an update yesterday, the computer was unattended and did its thing. Afterwards I got a new pop out window with local news, weather for Leicester etc. Leicester, do my best to avoid the place, anyway not there this morning.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:47 am

Leicester is where your ISP server is located.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:17 pm

Numerous websites today have sneak previews of WIN11. Go look!

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:54 pm

Windows 11 has leaked. It's a bunch of BS
Still using Windows 11-4 :))

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/16/tech/win ... index.html

New York (CNN Business)Windows 10 was supposed to be Microsoft's ultimate PC operating system. The promise: Windows 10 would forever get updated twice a year, bringing tweaks, the occasional fresh coat of paint and new features to keep your computer up to date.

But now, six years later, Windows 11 is on its way. We can only assume Microsoft (MSFT) got bored, because what we've seen so far of Windows 11 doesn't feel like anything revolutionary.
A complete internal version of Windows 11 has leaked online. You can download it from some sketchy websites, but we wouldn't recommend it. Still, it's there, and it appears legit.
Based on the leak, Windows 11 is full of mostly small visual changes.
The taskbar icons are centered, giving Windows a decidedly MacOS look (don't freak out — it can be left-justified if you're old school).
The Start menu ditches live tiles for pinned apps.
We've got a new Windows logo: four equal-sized rectangles instead of the trapezoid Microsoft has been using for Windows since the 2012 release of Windows 8.
All the Windows icons have been redesigned with a more colorful gradient and a slightly more 3D appearance.
Windows will have rounded corners.
When you click the maximize button, you get options about how you want to lock the window in place -- side by side with another app, a grid of three or a grid of four.
It's got fancy shmancy new wallpapers that ditch stylized photos of light shining through windows for something more floral.
Also, it's not a visual change, obviously, but Windows 11 is bringing back the startup jingle (the first since Windows 7).
That's ... pretty much it. Microsoft will reportedly update the Microsoft Store, but that wasn't featured in the version of Windows 11 that leaked.
Here's a quick visual synopsis from The Verge's Tom Warren, who was braver than I and installed Windows 11 on a virtual machine.

The visual update is welcome. Microsoft has been teasing a big fall refresh for Windows 10, which makes sense for its longest-serving operating system version. (Windows XP was around for five years before Vista, so Windows 10 is the record holder — congrats!)
But new Windows versions usually bring some kind of new functionality or promise. If this really is all we're getting, it feels a lot more like Windows 10.1 than Windows 11.
So why is Microsoft breaking its promise and turning Windows up to 11? Marketing.
Windows 10 was built for an era in which smartphones became the dominant computing tools and PCs were used almost exclusively for productivity. Sales dipped as people stopped buying new computers every couple years, and Microsoft shifted its strategy away from the whiz-bang new OS every few years to a far more boring but more consistent operating-system-as-a-service model.

Then Covid hit. People are living their lives on their PCs, which are suddenly hot commodities again. Microsoft was caught a bit flat footed, as Chromebooks flew off shelves for remote-school students and Apple introduced its blazing-fast M1 chip for Macs.
Introducing: Windows 11. It may be Windows 10 with a sleek new interface, but it's something Microsoft and its PC manufacturing partners can hang their hats on for back-to-school.
Of course, we'll have to wait until Microsoft officially unveils Windows 11. Maybe there's something magical under the hood that we can't see from the leaks. Microsoft is expected to reveal Windows 11 on June 24 at 11 am ET.

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:38 pm

We rarely use the PC these days, everything is done on our phones. A slight drift, but with Spanish authorities only accepting Spanish phone numbers, and registering for vaccinations not possible giving a UK number, I bought a Spanish SIM card, and rather than hosting it in the second slot on my Xiaomi 8, I bought a Xiaomi 9 from Amazin for €93. Which brings me to my point: the Xiaomi 9, a cut-price starter phone with a huge screen, massive battery, and acceptable processor, does everything so much better than a PC can (except watching films and gaming) why bother turning the PC on ?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Boac » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:59 am

Where are you with the 9 with Google and access to Google play with the US ban on Chinese stuff?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:03 am

As it said, PCs are for work procedures. I use my laptop for money management, spreadsheet and letters. Also a photo program for serious editing. As you say, a mobile works brilliantly for most browsing purposes, even reading the papers. Though finger tip typing can be a pain.

Incidentally, how is your phone with Android and Google?
The Huawei spat means they can't use android or Google or something.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by OFSO » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:14 pm

There is no ban on Chinese stuff. Only on one specific manufacturer and it isn't Xiaomi.

I've been setting-up and playing with the Xiaomi 9, which is a cheaper version of the 8, since it arrived Tuesday at 2pm, charged overnight the same day, and I still have 85%. They are the masters of battery technology. My fitness band, worn 24/7, messages, weather, and heart, all turned on, now needs recharging every 20 days. When new, 21 days.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Boac » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:45 pm

There is no ban on Chinese stuff. Only on one specific manufacturer and it isn't Xiaomi.
Yes - I missed the fact that Xiaomi had been removed from the banned list by Biden.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by OFSO » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:17 pm

Xiaomi weren't banned at all. I bought my Xiaomi 8 last year in August, when the Trumpo was ruling the world.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Boac » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:22 pm

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:39 pm

OFSO, I though so. I was also quite impressed that Huawei fessed up that their latest mobiles had that problem. I must admit I am delighted with mine. It cost a 'lot' more than my Cubot. The Cubot could not link with my hearing aids. Despite a broken screen I sold it to someone in Zambia.
Anyone that pays Apple or Samsung prices needs their head examining. I dropped my Huawei when out on a walk. Inconvenient had I not found it but not heart stopping losing a ££££ one.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:48 pm

Does Xiaomi make a 5G phone?
Google only showed 4G at about $350.00 US.
If they are that good I would take a flyer on a 5g one. Dual sim could be useful.

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Boac » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:08 pm

OFSO - the ban was not on 'sales' - you can, after all, still buy a Huawei phone if you want one, so there would be no problem in buying your phone. The ban was on the 'technology'. No new Huawei/Honor phone can use the latest Android or Google stuff.

Xiaomi were heading for the same 'ban' as Huawei - no Android OS, no Google, simply because they were 'Chinese' and linked to the military.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:33 pm

OFSO, I didn't know that the 8 was more advanced than 9. I bought the Redmi 9T to make sure I have a phone with FM radio I enjoy listening to some radio show. Initially I wasn't too so it was a good idea to replace the 4X but now I think it is an excellent phone.

The only reason I prefer to use to laptop over the phone is that a phone is a communication device and I don't want to waste charge /battery time on things I can do on a laptop without too much inconvenience.