Windows Update May 21

Title says it all
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Windows Update May 21

#41 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:39 am

I moved to W10 on a 2014 lenovo laptop taking advantage of the free offer to upgrade. I stayed there for a couple of days before moving to W8.1, I never looked back

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:27 am

I got Win 10 but use Classic to make it look like Win 8.
I thought Win 11 looks like Win 8 from that preview.

Who thought having icons in your task bar centralised was a good idea? It means an icon never stays in the same physical position

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by Boac » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:45 am

Do you mean Classic Shell or do you have a different programme? Re Icons - I understand the position is adjustable so all tastes are catered for.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by barkingmad » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:00 pm

Many years ago, I think it was 2015, I took advantage of the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 on a netbook.

It became so slow that I lost the will to live and quickly (within the offered 30-day rollback period) reverted to Win7.

Alas whatever crap had been installed by Win10 remained contaminating what had been a good little performer.

Constructive suggestions as to how to restore would have been welcome once upon a time, but with Win7 consigned to MS’s trash can I am now trying to master the art of the Mac way of life... ~X(

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:08 pm

Good Lord BM. Welcome back we were beginning to think the worst.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by Boac » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:13 pm

What is Windows Classic?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:36 pm

Microsoft issues urgent security warning: Update your PC immediately

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/07/tech/mic ... index.html

New York (CNN Business)Microsoft is urging Windows users to immediately install an update after security researchers found a serious vulnerability in the operating system.

The security flaw, known as PrintNightmare, affects the Windows Print Spooler service. Researchers at cybersecurity company Sangfor accidentally published a how-to guide for exploiting it.
The researchers tweeted in late May that they had found vulnerabilities in Print Spooler, which allows multiple users to access a printer. They published a proof-of-concept online by mistake and subsequently deleted it -- but not before it was published elsewhere online, including developer site GitHub.

Microsoft (MSFT) warned that hackers that exploit the vulnerability could install programs, view and delete data or even create new user accounts with full user rights. That gives hackers enough command and control of your PC to do some serious damage.
Windows 10 is not the only version affected -- Windows 7, which Microsoft has ended support for last year, is also subject to the vulnerability.
Despite announcing that it would no longer issue updates for Windows 7, Microsoft issued a patch for its 12-year old operating system, underscoring the severity of the PrintNightmare flaw. Updates for Windows Server 2016, Windows 10, version 1607, and Windows Server 2012 will are "expected soon," it said.
"We recommend that you install these updates immediately," the company said.
If there's any good news is that the current security update is cumulative, meaning it contains previous fixes for previous security issues too.
It's the latest in a slew of security alerts from Microsoft in the past year and a half. The company has been embroiled in safety issues, including in 2020 when the National Security Agency alerted Microsoft to a major flaw in its Windows operating system that could let hackers pose as legitimate software companies. And this year, hundreds of thousands of Exchange users were targeted after four vulnerabilities in its software allowed hackers to access servers for the popular email and calendar service. Microsoft was also the target of a devastating SolarWinds breach.
Notably, Microsoft hasn't released a patch for Windows 11. Its newest operating system, due out soon, is currently available to beta testers. Windows 11 comes six years after Microsoft last overhauled its operating system with Windows 10, a major update that's now running on around 1.3 billion devices worldwide, according to CCS Insight.

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:37 pm

researchers tweeted in late May that they had found vulnerabilities in Print Spooler, which allows multiple users to access a printer
About 22 years ago I was installing a new RAF network system on the station with networked printers. Any desktop could print on any printer. Printers were not switched off. The danger was that secret material could be accessed and then printed at a remote printer. If the printer was in an insecure or unmanned location the risk was obvious.

I pointed out the insecurity to the plods and used their printer to prove it. Their reaction was to tell me it was against the rules. Prats

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:59 pm

Went to the downloads page. Found Win7 for my system.
Click on download. Doesn't! ~X( :-o :((

PP

Anyone else having this problem? :-? :-ss

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by OFSO » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:08 pm

I have print spooler problems now and then. Either it fails to start automatically or fails to start on manual. When it's going it's OK for weeks. Until suddenly it isn't and needs a poke....

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by Boac » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:40 am

llondel wrote:Reports I've seen suggest that if your computer is older than 2017, or has a CPU older than that vintage,
This raises an interesting question. It would appear that a huge percentage of computers will not run Win11 - one of the 'gotchas' is that you need a 'TPM' module installed, and many CPUs and/or mobos will not accept such.

Given that we are all resistant to 'change', do we know what will happen to W10 support (not to mention those of you still using 3.1......)?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:23 am

Also the Win 11 ready check App was withdrawn as it gave false negatives even for new top end machines.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:30 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:37 pm
researchers tweeted in late May that they had found vulnerabilities in Print Spooler, which allows multiple users to access a printer
About 22 years ago I was installing a new RAF network system on the station with networked printers. Any desktop could print on any printer. Printers were not switched off. The danger was that secret material could be accessed and then printed at a remote printer. If the printer was in an insecure or unmanned location the risk was obvious.

I pointed out the insecurity to the plods and used their printer to prove it. Their reaction was to tell me it was against the rules. Prats
Richard Feynman summed up the moronic mentality perfectly..
Everything was always in a hurry because it was wartime, and one time I had to go there on a weekend. It was Sunday, and we were in this fella's office ­­ a general, a head or a
vice president of some company, a couple of other big muck­a­mucks, and me. We were gathered together to discuss a report that was in the fella's safe ­­ a secret safe ­­ when
suddenly he realized that he didn't know the combination. His secretary was the only one who knew it, so he called her home and it turned out she had gone on a picnic up in the
hills. While all this was going on, I asked, "Do you mind if I fiddle with the safe?" "Ha, ha, ha ­­ not at all!" So I went over to the safe and started to fool around.

They began to discuss how they could get a car to try to find the secretary, and the guy was getting more and more embarrassed because he had all these people waiting and
he was such a jackass he didn't know how to open his own safe. Everybody was all tense and getting mad at him, when CLICK! ­­ the safe opened.
In 10 minutes I had opened the safe that contained all the secret documents about the plant. They were astonished. The safes were apparently not very safe. It was a terrible
shock: All this "eyes only" stuff, top secret, locked in this wonderful secret safe, and this guy opens it in ten minutes! Of course I was able to open the safe because of my
perpetual habit of taking the last two numbers off. While in Oak Ridge the month before, I was in the same office when the safe was open and I took the numbers off in an absent­ minded way ­­ I was always practicing my obsession. Although I hadn't written them down, I was able to vaguely remember what they were. First I tried 40­15, then 15­40,but neither of those worked. Then I tried 10­45 with all the first numbers, and it opened.

A similar thing happened on another weekend when I was visiting Oak Ridge. I had written a report that had to be OKed by a colonel, and it was in his safe. Everybody
else keeps documents in filing cabinets like the ones at Los Alamos, but he was a colonel, so he had a much fancier, two­ door safe with big handles that pull four 3/4­inch­thick
steel bolts from the frame. The great brass doors swung open and he took out my report to read. Not having had an opportunity to see any really good safes, I said to him, "Would
you mind, while you're reading my report, if I looked at your safe?"

"Go right ahead," he said, convinced that there was nothing I could do. I looked at the back of one of the solid brass doors, and I discovered that the combination wheel was
connected to a little lock that looked exactly the same as the little unit that was on my filing cabinet at Los Alamos. Same company, same little bolt, except that when the bolt
came down, the big handles on the safe could then move some rods sideways, and with a bunch of levers you could pull back all those 3/4­inch steel rods. The whole lever system,it appeared, depends on the same little bolt that locks filing cabinets. Just for the sake of professional perfection, to make sure it was the same, I took the two numbers off the same way I did with the filing cabinet safes. Meanwhile, he was reading the report. When he'd finished he said, "All right, it's fine." He put the report in the safe, grabbed the big handles, and swung the great brass
doors together. It sounds so good when they close, but I know it's all psychological, because it's nothing but the same damn lock.

I couldn't help but needle him a little bit (I always had a thing about military guys, in such wonderful uniforms) so I said, "The way you close that safe, I get the idea that
you think things are safe in there."

"Of course."

"The only reason you think they're safe in there is because civilians call it a 'safe.' " (I put the word "civilians" in there to make it sound as if he'd been had by civilians.)

He got very angry. "What do you mean ­­ it's not safe?"

"A good safecracker could open it in thirty minutes."

"Can you open it in thirty minutes?"

"I said a good safecracker. It would take me about forty ­five."

"Well!" he said. "My wife is waiting at home for me with supper, but I'm gonna stay here and watch you, and you're gonna sit down there and work on that damn thing
for forty­ five minutes and not open it!" He sat down in his big leather chair, put his feet up on his desk, and read.

With complete confidence I picked up a chair, carried it over to the safe and sat down in front of it. I began to turn the wheel at random, just to make some action. After about five minutes, which is quite a long time when you're just sitting and waiting, he lost some patience: "Well, are you making any progress?"

"With a thing like this, you either open it or you don't."

I figured one or two more minutes would be about time, so I began to work in earnest and two minutes later, CLINK ­­ it opened.

The colonel's jaw dropped and his eyes bugged out. "Colonel," I said, in a serious tone, "let me tell you something about these locks: When the door to the safe or the top
drawer of the filing cabinet is left open, it's very easy for someone to get the combination. That's what I did while you were reading my report, just to demonstrate the danger. You
should insist that everybody keep their filing cabinet drawers locked while they're working, because when they're open, they're very, very vulnerable." "Yeah! I see what you mean! That's very interesting!" We were on the same side after that. The next time I went to Oak Ridge, all the secretaries and people who knew who I was were telling me, "Don't come through here! Don't come through here!" The colonel had sent a note around to everyone in the plant which said, "During his last visit, was Mr. Feynman at any time in your office, near your office, or walking
through your office?" Some people answered yes; others said no. The ones who said yes got another note: "Please change the combination of your safe." That was his solution: I was the danger.

So they all had to change their combinations on account of me. It's a pain in the neck to change a combination and remember the new one, so they were all mad at me and didn't want me to come near them: they might have to change their combination once again. Of course, their filing cabinets were still left open while they were working!
Surely You Are Joking Mr Feynman
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:12 am

TGG, 54 years ago I was called into the StnCdrs office to change the safe combination. The safe contained keys to the nuclear weapons bunkers. Although the combination was supposed to be changed every 6 months it was usually only done on handover.
The outgoing CO wrote down the combination. I opened the safe and went through the change procedure. The new CO gave me his numbers and I again went through the motions as both sets were identical.

The hardest job for a spy would have been to break into the office. The 3 sqns on the base were 44, 50, 101.