Copying data from a smart phone

Title says it all
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Copying data from a smart phone

#1 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:35 am

Had a bit of a fright two days ago. My Galaxy 10 smart phone froze. No matter what you pushed or pulled it would not respond. I couldn't even switch it off to reboot. For 24 hrs it was stuck on 14.10 hrs and 40% charge. I tried charging it up, no change. I then thought of letting it fully discharge and then charging it up. Bingo. I would have lost 100s of photos and goodness knows how many contacts. I have copied all the photos to back up now but how do I get the contacts off it? Please.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

johngreen
FO
FO

Re: Copying data from a smart phone

#2 Post by johngreen » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:49 am

smartswitch is the Samsung software for communicating between your phone and PC.
Have you tried that? I used it recently to get info from a partly defunct phone and was impressed that it actually did the job very well.
It asks what information you wish to transfer, contacts being one of the options.
I set my phone to store important things on the card rather than the internal memory. Or if you have space enough, you can store in both locations...

Wish I was in Bots rather than the UK.
Sigh...

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:52 am

Thanks John will give it a try. Glad we are here. Blazing sunshine and cold beer by the pool. Soreeeeeee.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:56 am

If no luck, a Gmail account will allow you to store all your contacts in 'the cloud' and up and download to different phones, etc.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Woody » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:57 am

Boac wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:56 am
If no luck, a Gmail account will allow you to store all your contacts in 'the cloud' and up and download to different phones, etc.
+1
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:10 am

Also do connect the phone regularly to your pc

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:26 am

Thank you again John. Pretty sure I have got what I need. Getting it back onto a new smart phone will be the next problem but will worry about that when it happens.

Thanks Boac. My wife uses cloud and keeps telling me to use it. She can explain it to me. The number of times that we have had mobiles and computers stolen it could be useful.

Yes RiS. usually to down load photos.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:32 am

I had to get a new phone as the old one lacked a function and I got a Huawei. It has a clone function and that worked perfectly.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Boac » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:06 am

While we are on the Android circuit, there is an excellent 'File Manager' on 'Play' called 'File manger Plus' (or '+' ?). It allows you to set up wireless FTP access to your phone from any FTP client to enable transfer of files.