Google Mail

Title says it all
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Google Mail

#1 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:01 pm

Google are now going berserk on 'security' on unapproved email apps, which unfortunately include Outlooks prior to O-2019.

It appears that from 30/5 you will need either 2-factor authentication each time you access your Outlook Gmail account OR an 'app password' for each Outlook device to access.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun May 01, 2022 3:09 am

Ain't the digital age wonderful ? I have a 34 page A4 file of passwords, ID's, names of Great Grandma's second dog, etc. etc. and anytime I try to sign in to anything connected with Google or Microsoft I invariably seem to get locked out and have to Change Password, then remember to amend my file, if I can remember the new password I've just created when I get around to doing it. I refuse to use the Cloud, tho' persistently being "invited" to do so, or use a Password editor, don't trust anyone. Can't access some foreign bank accounts 'cos I can't give them a local - to them - address, and those that do accept my NZ address then refuse to send an International mobile call with their secret code.

I have all this on a password protected USB stick that I carry on my keyring, but this won't slot into the iPad Mini that I'm about to take away for two months this week, so have had to buy a gadget that "bluetooths" it to my iPad, and anyone else who happens to be in range of course.

Our e-mail has obviously been "sold" and we now get 6 or 7 scams daily trying to get us to fall for renewing a McAfee virus protection programme, fortunately they are clearly scams, but some of the addresses and domains beggar description. How can anyone fall for them ? But it all wastes time.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by unifoxos » Sun May 01, 2022 9:46 am

Got totally fed up with this some months ago, and have been religiously changing every non-financial password to one I can remember. It is <insert site name here>arealoadofuselesstossers - the bit after the site name I have on a shortcut key.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Sun May 01, 2022 11:59 am

unifoxos wrote:Got totally fed up with this some months ago
This appears to be quite different! Google 'Google insecure apps'/'30 May'.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun May 01, 2022 12:41 pm

I have one password for inconsequential sites.

Knoweyedeer plus 1 and @

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by llondel » Sun May 15, 2022 1:15 am

I started using one of those password manager thingies. We got told to use one at work so I looked through what was around and picked one I liked and so have separate password databases for the work machine and the home one. Now I only have to remember two passwords, one for each. https://keepassxc.org/ if anyone's interested.