Zoom failure.

Title says it all
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Zoom failure.

#1 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:07 am

I occaasionally accept a request to join a Zoom get-together with my two sons on the other side of the World, and one of them sends me an e-mail with a link for the designated time along with a meeting ID and a password.

A long time ago I donwloaded the Zoom App on to my browser, but at the appointed time I've just clicked the e-mail link and it has all come together, i.e. "invited " to join the conversation and after a couple of accepting clicks all has happened without my having to insert the ID and password, until - last Saturday, when nothing I could do connected me. I initially clicked the link and got the rotating "joining" circle, but that was all, eventually it timed out and didn't connect. Playing around I sometimes got the command to join via my browser, so closed down my e-mail, with the link, and opened up my Zoom icon on my Chrome bowser, got as far as having to enter the ID but not the password, and again nothing.

The e-mailed link was obviously correct, as my two sons joined up, but never with me.

Afterwards I uninstalled Zoom from my browser and re-installed it, then yesterday arranged for my son to send me another link for another attempt. This time .... I just clicked the link as on previously successful connections, no need to add the ID. and ... Lo and Behold it all worked as in the past.

So why not on the previoud day ?

Any clues, am I doing something wrong ?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Zoom failure.

#2 Post by OFSO » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:18 pm

No. BTWA. (Bloody technology wins again).

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:15 am

I blame Harold Wilson, describing the Microchip as - quote - " The White Hot Heat Of Technology "

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:50 am

If it's white hot - the chip I mean - better underclock it. Or you could make toast. My ancient WIN and Linux mashup was showing 65° on one core yesterday.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by llondel » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:15 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:50 am
If it's white hot - the chip I mean - better underclock it. Or you could make toast. My ancient WIN and Linux mashup was showing 65° on one core yesterday.
Is that all? Admittedly the machines here are mostly idling, but when one had a heatsink issue it would hit 80C and trip the audible over-temperature alarm configured in the BIOS. Everything here under 60C at the moment except the graphics card in the server machine which says 76C and probably means it needs a new fan. It is over ten years old.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:58 pm

32, 32, 29, 32. Always below 40c although I keep it clean. 'tis an i5
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by llondel » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:19 am