New 5G Wireless Internet

Title says it all
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

New 5G Wireless Internet

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:42 am

I finally got fed up with my internet/cable provider and their neverending price hikes. ~X(
I am cutting the cord! :YMPARTY:
Their channel offerings were heavy with Spanish language channels, cooking channels, shopping channels, and channels full of reality shows. None of which I watch. [-X
I got a 5G base station through my cellular provider and it seems to work so far.
I plan to use ethernet to my router and from there to my desktop. I also have a WiFi extender to help with signals to the other end of the house.
I am having to by Fire TV Sticks because the streaming service I am getting will only work directly with Samsung TVs; I have all LGs.
Any thoughts on how to setup my network to male everything play nice, ie, should everything (base, router, and extender) all have the same names and passwords, or should they all be different? :-??
I used to know just enough to be dangerous but now I seem to be regressing. :((

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: New 5G Wireless Internet

#2 Post by OFSO » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:44 am

We've had 4G internet for years. The problem in a part of the world where the population goes from normal to 14 times in summer is that the system can't cope with the increase in smelly tourists from across the border.

My 4G box sits in the window on a special bracket I made, forlornly looking out for a trace of a better signal, rarely offering a tenth of the promised bandsped. . It has of course WiFi built in. It feeds another router, TP, over a CAT6 cable, which also has wifi, and two more routers, one a legacy Huawei and a second TP, all with wifi. (!) We have: three smart phones, two PCs, one chrome book, one laptop, five Google homes and two CCTV camers, so plenty of connections, theres aso a TP range extender. Despite the piss-poor signal the 4G box gets, there's enough from my wife to watch Internet TV in the evening when I'm on my tablet. Oh, forgot the tablet from the above list. To return to original question: separate passwords for all the routers, except the range extender has the same password as the first TP router. NOTE!

Of course it's all a huge chatioc mess, but that's what I grew up on at work at the Space Agency, and anyway it all functions and hardly ever needs maintenance, and if it does it's good for my brain.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OFSO » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:46 am

Word of warning. Those ethernet connecters have a, wretched little bit of plastic which clicks the plug into place in the socket. If it breaks off (and it will) the plug can wriggle backwards out of the socket, disconnecting some or all of the connections, and causing your wife to exclaim '"I've got good WiFi but my phone says no internet".it a good idea to check the ethernet cables before telling your wife she's an idiot.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:41 pm

3 Amazon Firesticks scheduled to arrive today for the LG TVs. D#2 already has one for her LG TV and seems to work fine.
I plan to use Cat5 from the 5G device to my router and Cat5 from the router to co-located desktop and the co-located TV after I order the Firestick ethernet adaptor.
WiFi will have to be used for 2 Ipads, laptop, TP Link Extender, security system, and several Android tablets.
Cable boxes and associated equipment going back today or tomorrow, and trial subscriptions to several streaming services will be initiated to try to find the right mix. Several are already available as part of mobile provider's plan.
Next challenge will be to wade through device documentation to set-up network names and align passwords where applicable.

PP

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by k3k3 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:37 pm

You might want to send the Fire sticks back and order them again tomorrow as 12 to 13 July are Prime days with big discounts.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:45 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:37 pm
You might want to send the Fire sticks back and order them again tomorrow as 12 to 13 July are Prime days with big discounts.
They were actually ~half off. :-bd
$16.99 each with Alexa capability. :YMAPPLAUSE:
Only problem was a 2 per customer limit. D#2 ordered the third needed.
I will do my best to avoid looking at Prime offerings if I can.
I can feel my credit card trembling in my wallet. :((

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by OFSO » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:17 pm

The memsahib gets her internet TV from a provider who has been oversubscribed for years and is closed to new members. (Couldn't possibly be a more useless piece of info, that.) I use Amazon Prime tv, because I have prime anyway, €3 a month, and TVMucho for live shorts, free.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:34 pm

Just received the Fire TV Sticks.
IAs I previously stated, I planned to wire the TV in the room with the router with Cat5. Amazon wants almost as much for the ethernet adaptor as each Fire Stick costs. Furthermore, the adaptor is limited to 10/100 vs. Gig speed.
I guess I will forgo the adaptor in favor of WiFi.

Still have to hook everything up and reconfigure the router and TP Link extender. :-ss
Wish me luck. :YMPRAY:

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by OFSO » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:51 am

TP jolly good products, great value for money.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:45 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:37 pm
Just checked.
Got the same price as Prime Days price. #:-S

PP

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by k3k3 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:44 pm

All's well that ends well.

I use a TP Link powerline jobby to have wifi at the bottom of the garden, easy to set up and works well except once a month it doesn't, switch the extender off and on again and everything works again.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:49 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:44 pm
except once a month it doesn't, switch the extender off and on again and everything works again.
I thought that was SOP for electronics?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by llondel » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:33 am

OFSO wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:46 am
Word of warning. Those ethernet connecters have a, wretched little bit of plastic which clicks the plug into place in the socket. If it breaks off (and it will) the plug can wriggle backwards out of the socket, disconnecting some or all of the connections, and causing your wife to exclaim '"I've got good WiFi but my phone says no internet".it a good idea to check the ethernet cables before telling your wife she's an idiot.
As well as checking the cables, you might want to check your exit route is clear.