Ethernet Cameras

Title says it all
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Ethernet Cameras

#1 Post by OFSO » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:07 pm

One if my £27 Ethernet cameras never restarts after a power flick or failure, which is a fact of life here. The camera was on a CAT6 cable passing several Ethernet splitters. Everything else on the same splitter turned on when power resumed with no trouble. Finally took the camera down, cabled it directly to the router and placed the power supply where I could unplug it now and then. Problem solved, but why?

Other cameras and remote switches came from MILs UK flat, which was sold. They'll now be returned to new UK place, together with the router to which they've become acustomed, which in turn will be plugged into a 3 5G box.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Ethernet Cameras

#2 Post by llondel » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:11 pm

Probably not something you can try now, but what happens if you swap which device goes into which port on the splitter? If you've got a limited power feed then the last one on the chain might fail to start after a power outage, but when everything else is stable, there's enough spare power for it to start. Most of these things have a concept of power priority, so if there's an overload, it is well-defined which one gets dropped first.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:55 pm

Good suggestion but no time to experiment as cabling back to Router resulted in perfect working and busy.

Next job was why is wife's Toshiba laptop, used only for internet TV, so slow and so juddery? On advice of Computer Active, I ran "Autoruns" www.snipca.com/17380 which shows all programs running in background. CA says you will be surprised. They ain't kidding. I nearly chewed the earpiece off my spectacles. Then started unticking all the crap I didn't know was there and don't need. So far so good....

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:38 am

And of course I buggered it up. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Just put a few things back on the laptop. Don't know which one I did means it's now working again....

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:13 am

Took down my outside camera which has only just got used to not being in Islington but being in Spain, and next week will have to get used to being in Teddington. 5G internet box is in new flat already, but so as not to have to set up new phone, tablet, computer, switch and camera connections, I'm taking back an ethernet WiFi router that all the devices already *know*. Honestly it's like dealing with a bunch of idiot genius children.