e-mail reception error

Title says it all
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

e-mail reception error

#1 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:25 am

A friend recently sent me an e-mail with an attachment of a scan he'd made of an old motor bike catalogue showing my Father's 1930 Matchless motor bike and sidecar combination - Priced at £14/10 !! However, although the photo attachment and text arrived normally on my Windows Laptop, on my iPad I got nothing but 80 close lines of machine code ( I did count them ! ) Had I only had an iPad I would not have been able to see the photo, or read his message. Since then he has sent text only e-mails, which are readable as normal on Laptop and iPad.

Why the difference ?

Interestingly, as a result of my comments he has now repeated the e-mail and attachment three times in total, everytime the Laptop receives a normal e-mail and photo, but the iPad only shows machine code, and .... the code is different each time, e.g. the first time it starts TXVyZywNC .........the second time T25seSBpb......... and the last time Q3VycISBP ........

WTF is going on ?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: e-mail reception error

#2 Post by llondel » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:39 am

The iPad doesn't appear to be recognising the base64 transfer encoding. It might be that it's being picky about what it receives and the sending end is broken, whereas the Windows mail program is coping with the error, or it might just not want to display the image.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:24 am

Guess you could be right, but if it doesn't want to accept the image, why doesn't it at least show the accompanying text ? Other photo's sent by this correspondent have never been a problem.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by unifoxos » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:20 am

My ipad shows the text and an icon for the picture, but the icon is not tappable to see the picture. Lots of other things are not fixable compared to the PC. There's just so many things I can't do with it, I'm contemplating getting an Android pad, unless Linux ones are available in which case it's no contest.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:37 pm

Couple of years ago I bought an A1 refurbished Huawei Media pad from Morgans, £89, original boxed. Absolutely superb, watch TV on it every night.