What's App

Title says it all
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

What's App

#1 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:58 am

So what happened to the long post I just made ? Try again, shorter,

What's App. Is there an Idiots Guide to installing and using What's App. The only stuff I can find is certainly not written by, or for, idiots, and I am having difficulty, tho' I haven't even tried downloading yet, I need to know more about what it is and how it works before I have to get to grips with any IT nightmare.

Can I use it solo as a VOIP service from my laptop to any telephone number Worldwide at will, similar to the Skype service that I occsionally use, or is it only between approved "contacts" that are also using What's App ?

I've read that having installed the App. on my laptop computer, then I have to photograph a barcode with my mobiie phone - why do I need to involve my mobile phone, I'd prefer not to.

For years Mrs. ExS and myself have used a local VOIP service that whilst initially used my laptop to enter the number required, Worldwide if necessary, the connection was then made to our home landlne, and a landline only, but with landlines falling out of favour it has been shut down.

Thanks.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

Re: What's App

#2 Post by unifoxos » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:36 am

Idiots guide to Whatscrap - "Have nothing to do with it"

Security of it can be described with reference to a sieve.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OFSO » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:58 am

You can only install WA on a smart phone. When you have done this then you can install WA on a PC but as sending and receiving of messages is carried out by the phone you need to link phone and PC by copying the Q Code. You can only communicate with other WA users.

WA was immediately popular in Spain where the population feared the Government was reading e-mails and text messages. In Spain it's used by everyone including businesses. It's perfect for sending still and video data, well, perfect for just about everything. I have a number of solitary friends around the world, and without sending or receiving messages can tell by my WA page whether they are on-line or not and following their daily routine. If they don't appear within 24hours I get in touch.
As far as security is concerned the body of the message is encrypted. I've never had the black cars appear outside after sending messages of an inflammatory nature which I wouldn't dare sending by e-mail.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:23 am

I'm not too clear on what you want to do? Have a look at https://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/voip/ and see if it clears the mud.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:42 pm

Security: Years ago somebody wrote to "Playboy" magazine asking if their phone was being monitored by the FBI. Playboy suggested the simplest course of action was to write to the FBI and ask if their phone was being monitored, adding ".... if it wasn't being monitored before, it will be after they read your letter".

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:24 pm

OFSO ........ You can only install WA on a smart phone.
Thanks, will forget it.

Boac .... didn't entirely clear the mud, but stirred it up a bit, thanks.

My parents didn't have a telephone of any description until after I had passed 21 and joined the RAF. How did I ever manage to grow up ? The present State of The World suggests to me that we don't need all this constant and instant communication. If we still had to sit down, write a letter, find an envelope, pay for a stamp, or dictate and pay for a Telegram, falr less vitriol and misinformation would be available.

Back to the cave.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:57 am

To cloud the waters further, it is the 'plan' for all fixed telephones (aka 'landlines') to be transferred to VOIP by 2025. I have a feeling that Trussonomics may have changed that but maybe 17/11 will clarify.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:06 am

I have said it before and I will tell it once again: I love the current PSTN landline which is operational even if there is a power failure or the router goes tits up. I wish I had it upgraded while I could.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Boac » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:39 am

Indeed, and this is a major headache in the 'grand plan' as at present, in the UK, it is a sort of 'statutory requirement' to have a working telephone in the event of a power failure and this will probably require a UPS of some sort, although what is to be done about long power outages appears to be being ignored. I have seen no indication (publicly) of plans for UPS provision for both internet and mobile services which will be a necessity.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by OFSO » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:42 pm

Post? A hollow laugh from someone living where one has to get a bank loan to buy a stamp to destinations outside the EU, and where one receives a postal delivery every four weeks if the sun is shining and if the postie has borrowed enough money to fill the tank of his scooter. Otherwise every six weeks...

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:18 am

Boac, UPS isn't really a solution as it needs to be bought, needs maintenance or replacement and doesn't last really long. And one is still dependant on a functioning router - although I have a number of them stored.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Boac » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:58 am

RiS - UPS is the ONLY (short term) solution to the planned changes as they are.

PS None of your 'stored' routers are any use without jungle juice. :))

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:17 pm

There are two points of failure: one is the power supply the other is the router. Either can be nasty the combination is especially nasty

Local telcom substituted UPS for powerbanks which are useless within few months.

talmacapt
Capt
Capt

#14 Post by talmacapt » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:49 am

Interesting that one should think the fixed telepone network will not fail in the event of a prolonged power outage.

I lived to the north of Aberdeen in the 80s and one winter we had no power for 14 days.

After a few days, the landline stoppped working because the back up batteries in the exchange ran down.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Boac » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:12 am

That particular episode has been highlighted to HMG and BT.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by llondel » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:36 am

talmacapt wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:49 am
Interesting that one should think the fixed telepone network will not fail in the event of a prolonged power outage.

I lived to the north of Aberdeen in the 80s and one winter we had no power for 14 days.

After a few days, the landline stoppped working because the back up batteries in the exchange ran down.
In theory they're supposed to have a backup generator at the exchange. However, that presupposes that (a) it exists, (b) it has fuel, (c) someone is available to go start it, and (d) it actually starts.

I discovered during a recent power outage here that even if I've got all my stuff running on a backup supply, the local cable network stuff dies after an hour or so anyway. Clearly it needs a bigger battery too.

A UPS battery, lead-acid type, typically lasts 5 years, although I'm assuming the runtime will be shorter as it gets close to the end of life.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by OFSO » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:34 am

Back to the theme. Was asked to confirm a medical appointment today by a WhatsApp yesterday. I also received a quote for new guttering, .pdf file, by WA yesterday. Since I occasionally miss G-mails if Mrs OFSO has opened them on her phone, I welcome the use of WA by businesses and medical etc. I suppose people who use laptops and PCs would be less interested but I do everything on my phone these days and WA is a Godsend.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Woody » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:01 am

💯 % agree OFSO, just had a WA call from ZA saying that my prepaid electricity meter was u/s, a few people have had similar problems thought to be caused by load shedding, sent a photo of the last payment token and all is sorted at minimum expense :-bd
When all else fails, read the instructions.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:50 am

OFSO wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:34 am
Back to the theme. Was asked to confirm a medical appointment today by a WhatsApp yesterday. I also received a quote for new guttering, .pdf file, by WA yesterday. Since I occasionally miss G-mails if Mrs OFSO has opened them on her phone, I welcome the use of WA by businesses and medical etc. I suppose people who use laptops and PCs would be less interested but I do everything on my phone these days and WA is a Godsend.
I use Whatspp as my primary form of communication with folks in SA and have WhatsApp set up via my phone on my laptop as well. It is very easy to do and to use. Here's the link to the WhatApp PC application download!

https://www.whatsapp.com/download/

Installation instructions
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.