Loathsome WIN 10

Title says it all
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Loathsome WIN 10

#1 Post by OFSO » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:00 pm

For those who resent MS's heavy-handed approach to upgrading early OS's to WIN 10, and the persistant nagging.
This may have been raised already, but having used this today I can vouch for it:

http://www.ultimateoutsider.com/downloads

GWX control panel

(no install is necessary)

Information shows you if the "Get WIN 10 app is running", if the "Get WIN 10 app is enabled", if the download folder is already installed on your machine etc. Use the buttons below to set "Are Windows Update OS upgrades enabled ?" to NO.

Reboot your system when asked, lo ! and no more nagging.....

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Loathsome WIN 10

#2 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:50 pm

I've described Windows 10 as less of an operating system, and more of a Middle Eastern ceasefire – likely to be shot to pieces by warring factions at any moment.

(Quote from the "Register", today).

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by rgbrock1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:52 pm

To which I say:

Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:03 pm

Rotate the image 90º counterclockwise and it looks like an image of my undervest about to be hit by a laser-guided missile. (Yes the bulge is there, and yes I blame the festive season which has just passed).

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:39 am

Win 10 hasn't caused but one problem across some 25-30 computers I have installed it on be they upgrades or system wipes and starts from scratch bar the single utterly unpredictable issue. It was a Dell Inspiron One touchscreen that I had set up, (for a giggle), as "face recognition" login and this was early in the Preview cycle... Damn thing stopped recognizing me and, worse, wouldn't let me put in a password... Since this was my main home box I was a little peeved... I survived through back-ups...

I did have issues with a $79, 16GB tablet that didn't have enough space to back up the old system and install the new so the upgrade kept failing. Since I was in the insider program I expressed my distaste for the problem and, within three iterations of the test software it was addressed by allowing an attached storage device to bear the load.

WIN10 is as stable as WIN7 if not more so. It's a bit different but it's head and shoulders above WIN8/8.1... It's much faster on most machines than WIN7 though I don't have enough experience with WIN8.x to know if it is faster on the same hardware.

My personal recommendation: If you have hardware that runs WIN7 efficiently - feel free to upgrade unless you have something so far from "the norm" as a peripheral or custom written software that you can't risk it. Trust me, no-one here has a weird peripheral or custom software that won't work... and if you have software that won't work you should have been looking to replace it years ago.
Reasons for being banned to date:-

1. Espousing extreme views
2. PITA, (love this one)...

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by OFSO » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:05 pm

My preferred OS's are:

1) Linux Mint
2) My Chromebook (and its friend Andy the Android)
n) Any Microsoft product, including
n+1) The Microsoft SYNC system installed in my Ford (with MS label on the centre console).

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:07 am

If I wait until towards the end of the "free" download period, i.e. about the end of June I think (?) - will they have got to Win 11 ?

admin
Chief Engineer

#8 Post by admin » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:14 am

They had a Win 11 quite a few years back, 'cept it had a small prefix, a "3". As in Win 3.11. :-bd

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by OFSO » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:06 am

will they have got to Win 11 ?

I seem to have read somewhere that there will be no new versions of WIN after 10, just updates to 10. Doubtless in some cases these will be so radical that they will constitute a new "version" but hey, that's MS's semantics for you.

There was an interesting evaluation last month in one of the financial/business papers of the way in which MS is heading up a one-way dead-end street as it makes changes for the sake of making changes and to sell the latest product.

Capetonian

#10 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:23 am

I don't much like W10 and I held out against upgrading (if that's the right term) my two laptops from 8>10 until I'd heard other people's views. I ignored the constant nagging for a long time, and about 3 months ago decided to upgrade the newer (about 3 years) Lenovo. To my surprise and pleasure the conversion went fine and the machine runs as well as before.

A few weeks later I decided to do the same on my much older (about 9 years) Swiss laptop (rebadged Asus I think) which had been suffering with grinding to a halt and freezing and generally performing badly. I felt it was on its last legs and headed for the bin, so I copied all the data from it into a cloud application and went for the conversion. It took ages, and it must have rebooted itself more times than I've had hot meals, but the change has given it a new lease of life. It boots faster than before, still slow (about 3 minutes compared to about 6) but runs well and rarely slows or freezes.

I can't complain.