Roaming

Title says it all
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Roaming

#1 Post by OFSO » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:59 pm

Subject to a £2 charge a day each for roaming, (thanks Boris you unconscionable c*n*), I bought a pocket router (TP) to use with a local SIM card. First attempts with Lebara were useless, their monthly recharge procedure a nightmare of "turn off data, send an activation SIM, wait for answer which never came, etc. turn on" and they were very unhelpful.
I then found a SIM card on offer from Amazon, €7.95, pay as you go, €1 a month plus costs, however data is free. It's designed for use in watches, cars, alarm systems - and pocket routers. Basically devices which do not make calls or send texts.
A wait of 24 hrs after filling in the forms (Spain is strict regarding registering SIM cards) and now it's on. If I don't report back here, it's working well.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Roaming

#2 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:56 pm

On Money-saving expert I got an offer for Lyca Mobile. Unlimited SMS and calls with 4Gb data and EU Roaming.

5p/month for 6 months then £4.50 per month.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OFSO » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:26 pm

Sadly the small print on every UK contract I have seen says EU Roaming "subject to fair use" or similar. In practice this means a month of roaming, maybe two, per year. Then you get blocked.
There's a huge amount of free wifi in Spain, however now and then we are out of range and need the internet. €1 a month for connecting up to ten devices (in practice it's both of us) seems reasonable.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:59 pm

Just got the first months bill for the AMAZON Spain SIM card in my TP roamer. 87 cents. €0.87 for April. Somewhat cheaper than £2 a day roaming charge for each of the two UK phones it serves.