Emails

Title says it all
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Emails

#1 Post by Boac » Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:39 am

A while ago I changed my personal hosting contract and am now with 'Hostinger'. No major complaints on the system, until now.

It became apparent I was not receiving some emails. On checking the delivery logs I saw that some inbound email had been flagged as 'spam' (it wasn't) and the way Hostinger do emails is to route through a webmail service called 'Titan'. Digging deeper it appears that 'spam' there is placed in a 'Spam' folder on the webmail server at Titan, but no notification is given to the user and the folder is auto-emptied after 30 days. This is redolent of the BT email fiasco of old where they used to do a similar thing with their analysis of 'spam'.

I use Outlook to access my emails and previous hosts have passed ALL inbound emails to my system, sometimes flagged as 'Spam' and sometimes not, and I 'processed' them with various filters etc. Outlook has no idea of the webmail spam folder as it only syncs with the webmail 'Inbox' folder. I do not normally visit 'webmail'.

A long and arduous conversation with Hostinger produced the fact that I need to add a filter to EACH email webmail setup to pass all emails through to the inbox. I'm not sure if there is an easier work-round, but this is now working and I am getting everything sent.

Apart from being interested in anyone's alternative solution to using an email client with this system, but my major feeling is that since there is no mention of this ANYWHERE on the Hostinger site, in set-up or 'FAQ', this sort of system needs to be publicised so others do not 'lose' emails, and how is best to do this.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

Re: Emails

#2 Post by unifoxos » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:11 am

Also it seems to me that GMAIL have recently (and not for the first time) tightened up what they will accept. Incoming emails that don't meet their requirements are returned to the sender but there is no notification to the recipient, they don't go into the recipients Spam folder, and there is no way provided for a user to see a log of rejected emails. I am in the process of changing to another email provider.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:01 am

I'm all for attacking spam, but letting people know is important. at least you say Gmail are 'returning' the email so it will be noticed.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by llondel » Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:40 pm

I run my own mail system, so I get to handle spam as I see fit. It has some downsides, but generally works well. I did have to jump through a lot of hoops to get Google and others to accept mail from my system, so I have DKIM and SPF set up, and I think I had to take positive action to register my output email server with Google at one point. If you send me something my system considers spam, it gets a hard bounce, so at least you know it's done it. The system also keeps a copy of what bounced, so I can check through it for stuff bounced in error and move it to a more appropriate mailbox.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:44 pm

I've tried a mail server but took the lazy option, thinking this one would be straightforward :))

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:23 pm

I use Krystal who are based in London - been with them about five years. I use their Amethyst package and they host my website and separate personal domain name for email and I have unlimited email addresses with them although we only use five. There's never been an outage with them and I've rarely had to use tech support but when I have they have been prompt in replying and quick in sorting out any problems I've caused. Their website is https://krystal.uk

Gmail are a pain. They refuse to let me email anyone who has a gmail address unless I put some coding in at host level to prove my emails are genuine. Well, sod them! I have two local businesses which have gmail addresses, a joiner and a fencer. I can receive from their gmail addresses but I respond by text. I don't know why any business uses gmail - it's so unprofessional. The fencer has his own website so I have no idea why he persists with a gmail address.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:31 pm

I was hoping someone might know how best to get the 'word out' to prospective (and existing) customers to advise their caution if they use an email client. I could not find a 'Hosting review' site that seemed to be suitable. I think I have given up on getting Outlook to sync with this spam folder!

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Karearea » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:38 pm

When I set up one of my email accounts, for some reason on the day Outlook simply would not let me use .com and it had to be .co.nz, as if I was a business.

I am neither a farming company nor a cattery with the same name, I think I have inadvertently pinched their best options for email addresses! :D
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by OFSO » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:09 pm

I use OE Classic. It's what e-mail used to be like a million years ago before all this new fangled buggering about "to improve customers experience" started.