3/4g

Title says it all
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

3/4g

#1 Post by Boac » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:52 pm

I have lousy mobile phone performance in my house. I have been trying sim cards from the major carriers and found that Three is giving me by far the best 2g signal indoors. O2 and Voda give nothing to poor.

I have also been looking at 4g broadband as an option, however Three does not offer 'enough' 4g signal for me. My devices tell me I am receiving '4g' but my internet speeds are appalling - 1Mb on 3g and 4'ish on 4g. My received Db is always below -100. Obviously a 'good 4g signal indoors and outside' does not mean I can get a workable broadband. Is this a case of mis-advertising? - should OfCom challenge their coverage charts? What speed would any of our 4g users consider acceptable?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: 3/4g

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:40 pm

I have T-Mobile 5G internet.
Only problem is that of the two towers that are LOS to Chez Phlyer, one is 4G and the other is 5G. Both are only .7 miles away but both are next to an 8 lane freeway and late afternoon/early evening traffic causes airwave congestion. Speeds at times less than 1Mb.
During those times streaming has numerous short pauses and trying to have several streams and internet for computer slows as well.
Ironically, when I test during these times, upload speeds are far higher than download speeds, 5X or more when upload speeds are usually a fraction of download speeds.
Can't wait til the 4G tower gets upgraded. Tech support sas that will make a vast improvement.
On the other hand, I only pay $30/month for the service vs $100 + for cable internet.

PP

k3k3
Capt
Capt

Re: 3/4g

#3 Post by k3k3 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:45 pm

My wife's mobile is currently on Lycamobile who until a couple of weeks ago piggybacked on the O2 network, which has good coverage here, then they switched to EE which hasn't. Time for a change.