Overheating USB stick

Title says it all
CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Overheating USB stick

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:18 pm

Mrs C16 wanted some files I had on my PC so I put my old 32GB DataTraveler 111 USB stick into my PC. Downloaded the files and put the stick in her PC and we chatted. Then we noticed this hot smell and when she tried to remove the USB stick it was too hot to handle. After removing it safely and letting it cool I put it in my PC - left it there for a few minutes and the same thing happened. Ran the stick through O&O SafeErase and then binned it. Never had an overheating USB stick before.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Overheating USB stick

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:27 pm

Did it at least transfer the data?

PP

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:10 am

Yes, it transferred them all okay.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:54 am

I must say I'm careful with other devices that contain Li batteries. Bought a very nice portable (battery) charger that can fast-charge several devices at once, but I don't leave it charging when I'm not there.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#5 Post by jimtherev » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:48 pm

OFSO wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:54 am
I must say I'm careful with other devices that contain Li batteries. Bought a very nice portable (battery) charger that can fast-charge several devices at once, but I don't leave it charging when I'm not there.
Hmmm, I still have a little trepidation with the magic thingie, smaller than a paper back, which can allegedly start a car with a flat battery 10 times.

Sits in the passenger compartment since the boot locks electrically. But suppose it goes Tesla when I'm doing 70 in the outside lane?

Am I a reckless fule?