Multiple app loading

Title says it all
jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

Multiple app loading

#1 Post by jimtherev » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:31 pm

Tearing me hair!
I have a laptop owned by a non-computerate elderly friend which (this may or not be relevant) has recently loaded Windows 11.
Everything worked normally up to that point. But now...
Click on an application - say, Thunderbird or Microsoft Office Word. Loads ok. Still ok until you sleep or hibernate. Then, on restart...
Click on an application. Loads. And loads and loads etc multiple times. Upwards of six copies of the same doc or mail client.
In other words, machine now unusable. Friend reduced to tears.

Have tried scanning with malwarebytes - lots of irrelevant-looking stuff quarantined, reinstalling M$ Office and Thunderbird, and eventually downloading a new copy of Win 11 and telling the thing to repair. No change.

New one on me; never heard of this happening before. Any thoughts?

(I'm going to copy this to TOP also: I've already wasted a day on this & run out of ideas.)

My friend wants to ditch the m/c and buy another, but it's only 10 months old, but I don't want to be defeated.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Multiple app loading

#2 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:34 pm

Rather than ditching it, replace Windows with Linux Mint. It's very similar, it works, does not need antivirus or updates and its free.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#3 Post by jimtherev » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:23 pm

Hmmmmm. Hadn't thought of that. Mostly because I (thought I) know Micro$haft products v. well, and Linux v. little.
Serpently something to ponder.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:14 pm

Like a mug I paid for Linux Mint on a usb drive. However plug it in and you get the option to run the device directly from the drive, or (if you like it) to copy Linux to the device and run it from there. Useful to get a device started on those rare (snigger) occasions when Windows fails. Because amazingly, Linux always works.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:33 pm

As a long shot, check your friend has not opened multiple virtual desktops in Win11. Also it could be a problem with the mouse/touchpad.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#6 Post by jimtherev » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:37 pm

Tried 3 meeces - one corded - and had disconnected the touchpad when m/c was new, but thanks for that, BOAC
In the end decided to cut the Gordian Knot and download a clean version of Windows, take out the HDD incase it's something there, replace it with a spare SSD I just happen to have then reinstall et voila a new clean machine.
And if that doesn't fix it I shall have to think of something creative to do with it. (Was it The Mikado who mused about 'something with boiling oil in it?)
Thanks anyway, for helpful suggestions

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#7 Post by jimtherev » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:20 pm

Dunnit.
Bought a package: Win 11 and Office 2021. Installed this afternoon and discovered with delight that the authorisation code whatyoumaycallit is embedded in the ISO so no tedious typing in of the 25-digit string.
Thunderbird then downloaded and installed, and Christine has her emails back.
Alleluia!

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by ricardian » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:14 pm

jimtherev wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:20 pm
Dunnit.
Bought a package: Win 11 and Office 2021. Installed this afternoon and discovered with delight that the authorisation code whatyoumaycallit is embedded in the ISO so no tedious typing in of the 25-digit string.
Thunderbird then downloaded and installed, and Christine has her emails back.
Alleluia!
I use Mozbackup to keep a backup of all my emails on Thunderbird. The same package will restore from a backup, very handy when re-installing Windows.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by ricardian » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:22 pm

OFSO wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:14 pm
Like a mug I paid for Linux Mint on a usb drive. However plug it in and you get the option to run the device directly from the drive, or (if you like it) to copy Linux to the device and run it from there. Useful to get a device started on those rare (snigger) occasions when Windows fails. Because amazingly, Linux always works.
Download Linux Mint, it's FREE! If you're using Windows then install Oracle VM Box to install Linux Mint into a VM on Windows. Better than trying to dual-boot Windows & Linux, no need to re-boot when you want Linux.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER