swimming_lessons_parisenimages.jpg (85.66 KiB) Viewed 1353 times

lightnining_rod_parisenimages.jpg
lightnining_rod_parisenimages.jpg (86.83 KiB) Viewed 1353 times

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Paris in early 19th century

#5 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:21 pm

The first time I went to Paris - 1980's - stayed in an hotel in the rue Vaugirard near the Montparnasse end. Was awoken the first morning by the sound of hooves - a shepherd with a couple of dogs, taking a flock of goats and sheep down the street. Still cannot believe I actually saw that, but i did.

Capetonian

Re: Paris in early 19th century

#6 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:50 pm

In my late teens I went to Paris for a 'romantic' weekend with some Welsh tart with big tits. My mother said she looked like a 'trollop' (what a lovely old fashioned word that is!), but being a Francophile, approved of the tart because she spoke basic French and knew about French literature and music, and had heard of Berthold Brecht, Karl Zuckmayer, Richard Wagner, Robert Schumann and lots of other famous Froggies, unlike me, being a total philistine and ignorant of the classics.

We went by train as in those days it was cheaper than flying (happy days) and the tart was violently sick on the ferry crossing. Our room was in a garret in some ramshackle dump on a side street near the Champs of Liza, the old fashioned lift got stuck half way and I had to force open the filthy greasy trellis door. We then had to walk up a flight of stairs to the room which was so small there was no room for anything other than the single bed. Needless to say we had to share the filthy bog and grime encrusted shower down the corridor with other unfortunates. When I tried to open the window to get rid of the smell of previous occupants and their clothing, I found it was painted shut, forced it open, whereupon it took on a life of its own and freed from the paint and the rusted hinges which had held it together since the days of Napoleon, took its liberty and crashed down 5 floors, landing on a Citroen Deux-Chevaux in the street below.

Paris, the so-called City of Light. City of Shyte more like, capital of the Turd World, the only city where you can walk from one side of the city to the other without stepping off the dog turds.

I have to admit that recent visits have been rather more pleasant, and I can thoroughly recommend a visit to the Pere Lachaise cemetery and the lovely Brasserie very close to one of its entrances.

To be objective, I should add that when you have to travel on a very limited budget and book the cheapest of everything, just about anywhere seems like a hellhole. Whilst it was a challenge, I'm glad it's one I'm no longer faced with.