Growing Things
ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Allotment

#201 Post by ian16th » Sun May 23, 2021 1:21 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:36 am
We have just picked first oranges from one tree. They seem to be a cross between oranges and lemons. Mix with root stock?
I thought that this was brought up before. Maybe it was at TOP.

Not and expert, but from my Cypriot experience. There was only one citrus tree that would grow from a root. I cannot remember which one it was.

All other varieties were grafted onto this one type of root stock.

Another but! Sometimes these grafts produced hybrids, such as sweet lemon/oranges, which maybe what the ExA's have in Bots.
A neighbour of mine has a sweet lemon tree, the fruit were gorgeous. But useless for brandy sours.

Just my two pennyworth.
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#202 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon May 24, 2021 6:47 am

Thanks Ian. Half the problem is they came from Landmark. You guys send us all the crap stock. We have four lemon trees all had the same labels on them but all are different. Went in there once and all the leaves on the lemon trees had been eaten by something. They told me that they had been pruned. We have an alternative source now but didn't when we were planting these.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#203 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu May 27, 2021 3:02 pm

Mystery solved. It is a Bush Lemon Tree. Grows naturally in Australia and very tough therefore used as root stock. The idiot growers didn't graft properly so we just ended up with root stock. Can be used as a lemon but this should have been orange. We also have a clementine tree which is also growing these things. Eight years on we are not going to get out money back and we do not want to start the orchard again. Photo of our tree below.
Attachments
Lemon.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#204 Post by om15 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:44 pm

Heavy rain this summer has caused blight on the allotments, I have lost all the tomatoes but saved the potatoes, have a heavy crop of grapes and the root veg are doing well. Starting to clear the site for autumn planting, will try something different from the seed catalogues for next year.
Lock down has produced keen competition on the allotments, lots of work has gone in and it looks very smart up there, I think allotmenteering has been rather a life saver for some over the last 18 months.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#205 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:04 pm

Did our summer seed planting just before Christmas. Rape and courgettes doing well under netting but the sweetcorn is being nibbled by Francolins. Hopefully the plants will grow big enough to survive. Trying cabbage again in another netted bed. Think we planted it too early last time and it bolted. Bananas seem to have recovered from their bore hole water and now doing well. Lots of blossom on the fruit trees. One orange tree has lots of fruit but the squirrels may get to them before us. Trying our best to eradicate them. Put many chili seeds in last year but the ants got them. Now we have a fantastic chili bush which has self seeded in the middle of the garden.

Edit, just tried one BIG mistake.
Attachments
bush.jpg

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#206 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:54 pm

Our oranges are doing well. Very sweet and few seeds. Squirrels don't seem to be getting to them. We only seem to have two now but we have a problem killing them.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#207 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:04 pm

Seeking advice. With two of our fruit trees we had problems with the root stock (bush lemon) growing instead of the intended fruit. We now have a clementines with a big bush lemon tree but a side branch growing clementines. Should we chop down the main tree? I think we should.