Germination and Propagation

Growing Things
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Germination and Propagation

#1 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:28 am

This is always an area I have difficulty with. Even with a greenhouse in the UK I frequently failed. The farm down river has a germination table which works well. They have drip irrigation with fertiliser in the water. I am currently trying to get slips to grow on sweet potatoes and have seeds in germination mix for bell peppers, cabbages and tomatoes. Even if we get to the point of planting I bet something will eat them.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Germination and Propagation

#2 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:58 am

Tomato and cabbage seeds doing well. Flower seeds a little slow. But, the big news is that the sweet potatoes have started to shoot despite the squirrels. Need to put in more bell pepper seeds.

Where is 'Rather be Gardening'? We could do with her here.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

19downbubble
Snr FO
Snr FO

#3 Post by 19downbubble » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:24 am

On what scale are you germinating stuff? I made a cheap hydroponic table with LED lighting, controlled by a simple timer. The seed bed floats on the liquid, and when it gets low I simply add water and hydroponic magic fluid again. It's not a pump-and-filter system, so every month I flush it out, clean it and start over. Lights consume 36 watts.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:21 pm

100 slot germination trays. Our plot for veg and fruit is only 1/2 acre. Does your system require mains electricity or does it use batteries which is all we have? We are very remote.

19downbubble
Snr FO
Snr FO

#5 Post by 19downbubble » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:01 pm

Oh, OK. You're on a much larger scale than me, and I guess daylight is not an issue for you. But I imagine you can easily cover any electricity costs from solar panels. I use cheap-as-chips kit as part of my emergency kit, which delivers 18W at 12V from around 0.5m2. So I'd need less than 1.5 m2 for this installation. If you're using batteries, I think you would be good to go, plus a $100 panel or two to keep it all topped up. I only seed certain stuff because I have a simple timer. If you need to fake seasons to force product, you need a variable timer plus you may need a chiller. It's beyond me, and I guess it's not what you need. The main thing for me is that I know exactly what's growing at any one time, and I know it's of uniform quality. It's just leafy stuff for salads.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by probes » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:23 am

I thought I was being smart this spring and soaked the turnips, peas and beans in 'just' water to get them going - planted outside a day or two too late, as most of them did not like the rapid change in their environment.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:00 pm

Just trying a few experiments with the sweet potatoes. With the cut halves suspended in water we are getting some good 'slips'. Tried the recommended pulling them off and putting them in water but they didn't seem to want to grow roots. I have now put them into a tray in germination mix. I have also planted a rooting half in a pot in potting compost and that seems to be growing very good shoots (slips). Just wondering if we should plant the whole thing out as it is when a really good root system is established. Apparently these things spread like hell once got going.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by probes » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:29 pm

Did you make sure they have some roots 'sprouting', before pulling them off?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:52 am

Only slips from the bottom of the potato have a root. However those pulled off the tops seem to be doing well in germination mix.

Our cabbage seedlings are being eaten. Head gardener thinks grass hoppers at night so will put them in the shed at sunset.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by probes » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:17 pm

Can you get anything like this?
http://www.syracuse.com/living/index.ssf/2014/04/carol_t_bradford_cool_season_vegetables.html
Keeps moist in and pests out. Mustn't be kept 'on' for too long, though.

Also, it seems to me anything can be lured to produce roots if you place it close to water, but not quite into it.
Depending on how big your field is, of course :)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:04 am

Thanks Probes that is exactly what we were thinking about. We have actually got loads of this shade netting stuff. We will have to build some frames. They are going to have to be massive though.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by probes » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:42 am

Actually, with the extra thin ones you don't need any frames. Just don't tighten it and lift now and then when the plants are growing. The bad thing is - weeds also grow faster :).

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by BenThere » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:29 pm

I've had almost 100% success with seedlings exposed to outdoors threats by spraying them with a solution of 5% lavender oil and water. The deterrent lasts about a week and doesn't affect the growing seedling. The lavender oil should be augustiflora or officianalis, and costs about $40/liter. A liter goes a long, long way, and lavender oil has a multitude of other uses.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by probes » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:11 am

Wow. That's an idea for next spring!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#15 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:09 am

Thanks Ben, now find the lavender water. Will definitely try this. We think we know where we can get some.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#16 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:14 pm

Right, got the lavender water - war. Also see that putting flour on the leaves gums up their little gobs. May give that a go as well.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by 500N » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:11 pm

I have just had a mass potting of cuttings week or two !

Trying to get some new plants to grow from existing for the borders.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#18 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:41 am

Lavender water applied.

We are now transplanting three banana shoots from bananas in the main garden to our fruit and veg area. Our little banana plantation will then be 6! Lemon and orange grove 4 of each.

When I say 'we' I am supervising from a chair by the pool.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by 500N » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 am

Just moved all my potted plants off the veranda and going to give it a good sweep / hose down.
Repotted a few things today.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by om15 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:45 pm

Started to put the garden to bed, we back onto a field and so are plagued with bindweed, so a good prune next month will help.

Have you noticed how user friendly creosote has become, years ago it burnt your eyes quite severely and creosote in your hair took forever to wash out, however today I had a good soaking doing a fence/trellis and a quick shower made me smell quite normal. I suppose the dumbing down of creosote is another curse we must lay at the door of Mrs Merkel and her European do gooders brigade.

Bought 6 hyacinth bulbs this afternoon to fit into a corner somewhere tomorrow.