Lime Trees

Growing Things
A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Lime Trees

#1 Post by A Lutra Continua » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:34 am

Want to put in some lime trees at the brewery. Any suggestions and tips?

Discovered that the ginger beer straight from the bottle is brilliant with a wedge of lime shoved down the neck, along the lines of the faddy Mex beers a couple of years back. Also got an idea for a spicy lime pickle to go with the Ploughman's and in the shop.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Lime Trees

#2 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:45 am

Dig one cubic metre hole. Fill it with water only half fill if soil not very absorbant. Backfill with soil, compost, old goat, cow, chicken droppings. Mix in organic fertiliser in the last foot or so. Build it up to a couple of inches above ground level. Plonk in the tree after teasing out the root ball. Teasing can be done verbally but best done by hand. Ensure that the very top of the roots are just exposed and two inches above surrounding ground. Build up a circle of soil around the trunk about a foot away to stop the water running off when watered. Fill the circle up to the level of the very slightly exposed top roots with mulsh (compost, woodchips or even ripped up newspaper) to keep the moisture in. They do not like to have their roots waterlogged but moist. Here we can't give them enough water but down there be careful of over watering. Limp yellow/green leaves - over watered. Brown patches usually indicates under watering. Look out for caterpillars in the spring. I wonder how they would fare on being watered with slops from your establishment? That's the trees not the caterpillars.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ian16th » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:15 am

Not fare from lime to lemons, and how to make a Brandy Sour.

That always sorts out us old Akrotiri hands from the impostors.

I once posted my 'perfect brandy sour somewhere', maybe TOP, I'll do some searching.
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:40 am

Ian, First met Sister Ex-Ascot (aeromed) over a brandy sour in the OM at Akrotiri in Op Granby. Just discussing what to do with all our lemons when and if they appear. So yes please a good solution.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by A Lutra Continua » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:47 am

Ta muchly, Mr Ascot. Will give it a go. Looking at sweet limes, West Indian/key lime and Persian/Bearss lime. Slops might work. Thinking more of using some of the spent grains as mulch. Maybe a shovel full in each hole during prep and a pint of dark ale in there with it to give it a good start.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:56 am

ALC, it's OK for you down there south of the border you get a good choice of types. Up here we get all your rejects, including some on two legs.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by A Lutra Continua » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:09 am

Couple of hundred acres out back and a shovel are all that's needed to deal with rejects of any stripe.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:08 pm

A Lutra Continua wrote:Want to put in some lime trees at the brewery. Any suggestions and tips?

Discovered that the ginger beer straight from the bottle is brilliant with a wedge of lime shoved down the neck, along the lines of the faddy Mex beers a couple of years back. Also got an idea for a spicy lime pickle to go with the Ploughman's and in the shop.

Faddy Mex beers? I wouldn't put Mexican and beer in the same sentence. Any Mex beer I've ever tasted, smelled and tasted skunky and/or rancid.
Never touched the stuff afterwards.
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by A Lutra Continua » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:25 pm

Hence the fad for shoving a wedge of lime down the neck of the bottle.

Really gives the ginger beer a lift though. Few things more refreshing than downing a cold bottle of ginger beer through a wedge of lime on a hot day.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:29 pm

A Lutra Continua wrote:Hence the fad for shoving a wedge of lime down the neck of the bottle.

Really gives the ginger beer a lift though. Few things more refreshing than downing a cold bottle of ginger beer through a wedge of lime on a hot day.

You've mentioned this ginger beer stuff a few times now. I've yet to ever have one but I do note that several of the local beer distributors have some.
During the warmer months I will endeavor to check it out. I just hope it isn't too sweet as I do NOT like sweet-tasting beer.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:22 pm

Errr, who is going to explain ginger 'beer' to RG. It is difficult enough trying to explain cider to the Greeks.

Unless he is joking of course.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:32 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:Errr, who is going to explain ginger 'beer' to RG. It is difficult enough trying to explain cider to the Greeks.

Unless he is joking of course.

Not joking at all. I guess I could do a google on it but the description wouldn't probably adequately describe the taste. Which I have no idea about, having never drank the stuff.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#13 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:18 pm

RG, fair enough. Firstly it is non alcoholic. It has a very tangy ginger (of course) taste and extremely refreshing. The sweetness depends on brands but usually not. It is actually great for a lager shandy.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:40 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:RG, fair enough. Firstly it is non alcoholic. It has a very tangy ginger (of course) taste and extremely refreshing. The sweetness depends on brands but usually not. It is actually great for a lager shandy.

Thanks. Then it's similar in a way I suppose to a German Radler?

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by A Lutra Continua » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:42 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:RG, fair enough. Firstly it is non alcoholic. It has a very tangy ginger (of course) taste and extremely refreshing. The sweetness depends on brands but usually not. It is actually great for a lager shandy.

Silly human. Of course it's alcoholic if brewed properly. The one we make is a beer, brewed from barley malt and using fresh ginger instead of hops.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by ian16th » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:47 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:Ian, First met Sister Ex-Ascot (aeromed) over a brandy sour in the OM at Akrotiri in Op Granby. Just discussing what to do with all our lemons when and if they appear. So yes please a good solution.

Try this:

Brandy Sour Akrotiri 1962-4 Version

Ingredients:
Angostura Bitters
Robinson's Barley Water
Lemonade (Cypriot 'Alpha Lemon' is the best)
Sugar
1 Green Unripe Lemon. You do want a Brandy Sour, not a Brandy Sweet! If you have your own tree in the garden, Fresh is best. I did in Limassol.
Brandy (Reasonable quality, I used to use Keo, but Klippies is fine)
Ice cubes
1 Hi-Ball Glass

Process:

Place sugar in a saucer and spread around saucer.
Into a dry glass put a dash or two of bitters
Swill around and throw out the surplus
Cut Lemon in half
Cut one slice off one of the lemon halves, put aside for garnish.
Rub a lemon half around rim of glass
Tip glass rim into saucer to coat glass rim with sugar. Because the sugar crystals soak up the lemon juice, the sugar loses some of its sweetness.
Put Ice cubes in Glass
Squeeze the juice of 2 lemon halves into glass. It might be neater to squeeze the lemon halves into a jug, and pour into the glass, to avoid disturbing the sugar on the rim.
Put good measure (50ml) of Brandy into glass
Put equal measure (50ml) Robinson's Barley Water into glass
Top up with lemonade
Cut the slice of lemon into halves and garnish glass
Serve with a swizzle stick

Cheers!
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#17 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:00 am

Sorry RG never heard of that. Trust ALC to have produced an alcoholic one.

Thanks Ian, just now have to get the lemon trees to produce.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by A Lutra Continua » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:43 am

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by rgbrock1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:16 pm

A Lutra Continua wrote:Image

Rather reddish in color, sort of like an Irish Ale. :D :D

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by A Lutra Continua » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:40 pm

You've been drinking too much lager, Mr Rock. It's similar to a pale ale. Red Irish ale is a lot darker than that.

In fact, we use the same yeast variant that we use for the pale ale and red Irish ale we make.

Here's the Pale Ale.

P6010649.JPG