Peeing on plants

Growing Things
Slasher

Peeing on plants

#1 Post by Slasher » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:36 pm

Serious question.

Can a bloke's pee or dog's piss affect flowers and shrubs when sprayed on over a long time?

After some research I say it doesn't but the gardener says yes even if the urine is free of booze or caffeine.

Thanks.

Capetonian

Re: Peeing on plants

#2 Post by Capetonian » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:07 pm

We had a neighbour who was barking mad who reckoned that female dog pee killed plants, but males' didn't.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by 500N » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:09 pm

Dog pee can kill plants - grass - I've seen it but don't know what the chemical situation is that does that.

As to our pee, yes it is good for plants but in a diluted form. I think straight pee can give too much too quick.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:54 pm

In the days when I cared about looking after a lawn, I had a book that showed a few brown patches, just captioned - Bitch. ( not Dog)

Slasher

#5 Post by Slasher » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Thanks all.

Apparently both dog and cat pee contain something that causes crystallization which in turn can damage plants if pissed on over a period of time.

I tend to agree with you 500 but my gardener says he's seen it all (and he's 70 something) and reckons human urine is less damaging than dog/cat piss but just as damaging as the canine and feline variety over a longer period of time, for the same volume.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by 500N » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:35 pm

yes, I think if you peed in the same spot all the time or even bumped a heap of diluted pee in the same spot,
it will burn the roots, damage the plant.

but diluted spread over an area and washed in, the plants love it. I've tried it and it works.

Same as adding urea or aa eavy rain when lightning around, the plants love it because of the nitrogen.

Slasher

#7 Post by Slasher » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:40 am

Thanks. The reason I ask is that the soon-to-be-unex'd and me are replanning the house gardens (they've gone to pot in my absence) and she's wanting some expensive flora planted. She gave her reasons... and yes it's fair enough.

Since the area is semi-rural we get a fair number of dogs cats et al marking territory, including my great gobs of pee on the lawn edge plantage of the side door patio (esp during the Dry months) when I arrive from the pub and just can't hold it in another minute. However even if was drinking water all day same thing.

The gardener says one thing, I say another, which is why I thought I'd try for opinions here. I'm talking umpteen heaps of Bahts here (near enough to a thousand USD) so I need to be careful.

Sisemen

#8 Post by Sisemen » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:34 am

We exist on rainwater tanks and, as such, any waste of water on non-essentials is definitely a no-no. Having a pee and flushing is one of those non-essentials, particularly when the whole of Western Australia exists outside the door (as does the garden). So....the garden is definitely the object and stray weeds poking their heads up get a contribution as it rapidly kills them. Can be quite therapeutic selecting which weed is going to be sent to its maker next.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by 500N » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:23 am

Slasher

One thing you can do is pee in a bucket with soil in it - stops the splashes lol :D - then every few days
dilute with water and spread around and water it in - or wait until just before heavy rain.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:55 am

Reminds me of the old dear walking though town quite late dragging a couple of sacks. Mr Plod holds up his hand, as they do, and says "Whoa, what's this all about". Going on to say "There's a hole in one of your sacks and you are leaving a trail of $20 notes behind you".

Old dear says "Thank you occifer, I'll go back and collect them". Mr Plod sensing a mystery gives her a quizzical look, and requests an explanation.

Old dear says "My garden backs onto the golf course, and there is a knot hole in the fence. Passing golfers stick there whatsit through and wee on my flowers". So I decided to get my own back by standing there with a pair of garden shears, and I tell them $20 or I'll cut it off.

Mr Plod smiles, and then says well what's in the other sack.

She replies not all of them pay.

Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by unifoxos » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:27 am

but diluted spread over an area and washed in, the plants love it. I've tried it and it works.

On the runner beans when coming home from the pub, like some of us do?
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:47 pm

Sisemen, we are in the same situation in Greece. Here it costs fuel or battery power to pump the water. Pee outside in the garden all the time. Different areas each time doesn't seem to be a problem. Here we have patches on the lawns caused by ants I tend to pick on those.

There is no doubt that bitch canine pee turns the grass yellow but not male dog.

Edit: Mrs Ex-A has just reminded me that if the bitch has been speyed the female hormones are no longer present which are the culprit.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:49 pm

Me grandad used to pee in the water barrel he used for feeding his leeks and onions. He always seemed to win prizes at the local flower and veg show so it can't have done them much harm.

Me grandad reckoned the best time to pee in the barrel was after a few bottles of Newcastle Broon.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Capetonian

#14 Post by Capetonian » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:26 pm

I pee at least twice every 24 hours onto the same patch of grass, andh ave done for a few years. It looks no different from the surrounding areas.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by 500N » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:27 pm

I pee in a water bucket sometimes before watering the plants.

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#16 Post by izod tester » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:55 pm

I understood that the reason female dogs urine causes brown patches on lawns is that female dogs go far longer than male dogs between urinating and so the urine is stronger and "burns" the grass. I always kept a full watering can handy on the patio and watered the area after our spaniel bitch had performed which kept the lawn brown patch free. As for human pee, I usually pee on the compost heap when working in the garden.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by probes » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:26 am

Slasher wrote:Thanks. The reason I ask is that the soon-to-be-unex'd and me are replanning the house gardens (they've gone to pot in my absence) and she's wanting some expensive flora planted. She gave her reasons... and yes it's fair enough.

Well, surely you can afford an extra pot installed, then? B-)

Slasher

#18 Post by Slasher » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:49 pm

Unlike the U.S. dear pot is illegal in Thailand. We don't need to be baked in order to cope with life.

We just need plenty of sex! :D

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by OFSO » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:03 pm

One aspect that seems to have been overlooked here is that Peeing Freestyle, whether on plants* or not, is actually fun. Just remember to face downwind and spread the legs.

*Your own plants of course, Peeing on next door's is sneaky unless done through a hole** in the boarding fence.

** And watch out for their Rottweiler. Or goat.

dubbleyew eight
Capt
Capt

#20 Post by dubbleyew eight » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:34 pm

I maybe should not admit this....

up north is a location called jimblebar.
there is a telemetry hut there which I spent some time sorting out.
on the western corner of the levelled site was some grass. just a little tiny patch of grass about the area of a coffee cup, bermuda couch or kikiyu I wasnt sure.
I used to relieve internal pressures by giving this little patch of grass some liquid refreshment.
in the summer heat this would have the grass grow a noticeable amount during the day.
every night there was a kangaroo that would graze on that little patch of green grass.
every day for the weeks I was there I fed a kangaroo. :-)