Agapantha

Growing Things
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Agapantha

#1 Post by OFSO » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:20 am

This is an Agapantha year in our region. The buggers are everywhere. Willful plants, will not grow from selected seeds but self-seed everywhere. 16 with fully open seed pods in our front yard. Not that I dislike them, far from it, but the word "Triffid" springs to mind: mustn't watch the next meteorite shower.

Agapanthus is the only genus in the subfamily Agapanthoideae of the flowering plant family Amaryllidaceae. The family is in the monocot order Asparagales. The name is derived from scientific Greek: αγάπη = love, άνθος = flower. Wikipedia
Scientific name: Agapanthus
Family: Amaryllidaceae
Higher classification: Agapanthoideae
Kingdom: Plantae
Order: Asparagales

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Agapantha

#2 Post by Tall Bird » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:57 am

Wonderful OFSO. I love agapanthus - have several varieties and sizes in pots outside and overwintered in a greenhouse. The rock hard clay and squirrels here mean they are difficult to get going in the ground. A friend's grandma used to call them Big Lils. :D

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Karearea » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:50 am

I am another who likes Agapanthus, and carefully cultivate mine while my relatives a few degrees closer to the equator curse them self-seeding in pavement cracks etc.
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:35 am

Yes, they are stubborn creatures. resist all attempts at planting out in nice healthy regularly-watered earth, but self-seed in any convenient crack.

The first roundabout you come to when approaching Roses town is completely covered in white and blue Agapanthus (and from then on, appropriately, the centre divider of the dual carriageway is full of roses).