RAF - Near East Air Force Thread

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

RAF - Near East Air Force Thread

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:58 pm

Want to talk about Sharjah, Khormaksar, Muharraq, etc. and places in between then here's the place.

After a month or so getting acclimatised in Muckrack Dec '65, moved on to Sharjah. First time seriously overseas and was totally rapt. I mean the beaches went in for miles. And miles and miles. There were some good threads going in the other place about places like Aden, Salala, Masirah, Eastleigh. Would love to get them going here.

As far as aviation nostalgia is concerned, they were magical places. You want to talk about Bubblies and Twin Pins, the mighty 10 and the Whistling Wheelbarrow - yeh, then go for it.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: RAF - Near East Air Force Thread

#2 Post by om15 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:38 pm

I joined 103 MU at Akrotiri in June 1973 until the demise in March 1975 following the reduction in based units after the Turkish invasion. The unit covered the repair and salvage of crashed aircraft in the NEAF region, with working parties around the RAF bases and also to cover RAF aircraft at other locations. An additional responsibility was clearing crashed aircraft from operating runways using salvage equipment.

This is how we became involved in this civil TU104 at Nicosia,

http://www.baaa-acro.com/1973/archives/ ... n-nicosia/

The aircraft came off the runway during landing, the only recorded injuries being sustained by the pilots jumping out before the rescue crews arrived on the scene. The aircraft was declared scrap and cleared from the side of the runway to enable normal operations to resume.

The wreck was then purchased by a local entrepreneur with the then fashionable idea of turning the aircraft into a restaurant, to be located on the main Nicosia to Kyrenia road north of the airport. We were then summoned back to Nicosia with the instructions to raise the aircraft to allow the proud owner to manoeuvre his home made trollies into place, to then enable him to drag the remaining part of the aircraft across about 3 miles of bondu, dried up river beds and large rocky outcrops.
We dutifully raised the aircraft using airbags and jacks, then very gingerly lowered onto two very jerry built trolleys which immediately fell apart when taking the weight of the aircraft.
However, not to be beaten a team of local engineering aces arrived, disregarding the fuel drenched area they got the welding gear out and started to haphazardly weld strengthening pieces to the now collapsed trollies. With avtur dripping out of the wings and one of the welding bottles shooting flames out of the regulator we decided to retire and let them get on with it.
After an evenings refreshment in Ellens Bar in Nicosia we returned the next morning and repeated the exercise several times before the trollies and aircraft finally just collapsed.
If you look at the chain of photos you can see how intact the fuselage was at the beginning and what it looked like at the end, the gentleman with the worry beads was the very anxious owner. The aircraft never did move an inch and the colour photo at the end shows the remains there today.

shack37
PPL
PPL

#3 Post by shack37 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:21 am

I was at K´sar from mid 66 to October 67 and enjoyed many and varied detachments from there with the Shacks, including Sharjah, Muharraq, Masirah and the other place beginning with M whose name shall not be mentioned. Sharjah had some interesting sights, long haired bearded men wearing odd bits of WW2 uniforms and carrying ancient rifles. Back then they were friendly :!: As Sharjah was dry (apart from NAAFI and clubs) we often visited Dubai just down the road to have a few beers in a bar. On one occasion we were adopted by some American oilmen based there. As a result we arrived back a little late for an early take-off (0600) so headed direct to the aircraft in our taxi.
As expected, some black looks at first from Capt and crew. On their return we met them with some cool beers and soon we were friends again. Eventually the crew captain told us that he would have been more impressed if we had arrived back on camels ;)

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:27 am

Tell me Shack37 were you a member of the Grey Ghosts - the Shackleton aerobatic team. Remember reading about them on the other place eons ago.

shack37
PPL
PPL

#5 Post by shack37 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:34 pm

Alisoncc,
Afraid you got me there. I´m not familiar with the term Grey Ghosts nor am I aware of a Shack Aerobatic Team unless it referred to people like H***y H******g (pilot and rugby player) who could down a pint whilst standing on his head. There were some impressive flypasts for anniversaries/disbandments etc. :(

shack37
PPL
PPL

#6 Post by shack37 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:40 pm

Alisoncc

Found this in the Arrivals Lounge. Our paths must have crossed during your time there as I was there on several occasions with the Shacks during that period. Did you visit either the Khunja or Gliding Clubs at all?
Thanks Ricardian. Another Sharjah kiddie. I was there 1965-1967. Ran half this place. Happy days.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:21 am

Vaguely remember the Khunjah, but wasn't into gliding. Being Air Radio got invited on Tom Sheppards Bundo bashing trips regularly. Used to haul along one of the spare VHF's off the Twin Pins, and I was "needed" to set it up. Ran off a couple of 12v batteries in series.

Incidently Tom Sheppard is the author of the definitive guide to desert travel - ISBN 0-907649-15-7. Desert Expeditions by Tom Sheppard. I knew him when he was just cutting his teeth on desert travel. He went on to lead the Joint Services West East Sahara Expedition early 1975. Taught me the basics of astro-navigation in the Omani Deserts, he did.

Alison

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:33 am

I have it on some authority that Dubai has changed a bit since I was there.
Here's how they used to cross the river to Daira. There was a bridge but that was upstream.

dubai.jpg

dubai1.jpg

shack37
PPL
PPL

#9 Post by shack37 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:29 pm

"Vaguely remember the Khunjah, but wasn't into gliding. Being Air Radio got invited on Tom Sheppards Bundo bashing trips regularly. Used to haul along one of the spare VHF's off the Twin Pins, and I was "needed" to set it up. Ran off a couple of 12v batteries in series."

Nor was I. Gliding wasn´t a requirement for membership but there was a great atmosphere, music etc.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:54 am

shack37 wrote:Nor was I. Gliding wasn´t a requirement for membership but there was a great atmosphere, music etc.

Shouldn't be surprised Shackletons weren't known for their gliding ability. :p

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by limeygal » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:18 pm

Alison-that's how I remember the Creek when I first went to Dubai in 73. We used to stay at the Ambassador I think it was and BA stayed at the President-the only 2 hotels in DXB at the time

Sisemen

#12 Post by Sisemen » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:52 pm

Almost missed this! Near East Air Force stopped at Cyprus. Those of us wot was in 'otter places were in AFME (Air Forces Middle East). I think they explained to us while I was in Boy Entrant training why it was AFME and not MEAF but I've long since forgotten.

Did my duty time in Khormaksar for the medal and was then posted to Sharjah in May 67 for duty with the Mountain/Desert Rescue Team. I'll post pix when I fire up the desktop (pix don't seem to work via the iPad - or maybe it's just my Luddite abilities with technology)

shack37
PPL
PPL

#13 Post by shack37 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:56 pm

"Almost missed this! Near East Air Force stopped at Cyprus. Those of us wot was in 'otter places were in AFME (Air Forces Middle East). I think they explained to us while I was in Boy Entrant training why it was AFME and not MEAF but I've long since forgotten."

Not important, they´re both anagrams of FAME :D

shack37
PPL
PPL

#14 Post by shack37 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:58 pm

shack37 wrote:"Almost missed this! Near East Air Force stopped at Cyprus. Those of us wot was in 'otter places were in AFME (Air Forces Middle East). I think they explained to us while I was in Boy Entrant training why it was AFME and not MEAF but I've long since forgotten."

Not important, they´re both anagrams of FAME :D