If former forum member hawkerj96 is still visiting, please contact admin as we have a new member who wishes to contact you about John Hawke

RAF Scampton closure

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: RAF Scampton closure

#21 Post by Boac » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:45 am

A few low passes down the runway (with smoke on, of course) and some might wish to go to Rwanda early ........ :-)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:48 pm

Had a talk on Monday by one of the form keeper's of Nigger's grave notwithstanding the presence of a visitor from a country of similar name.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Boac » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:54 pm

You mean Niggereria or what?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by barkingmad » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:39 pm

4mastacker sez:- - -"There used to be a nice high-security enclosure on one of RAF Ouston's runways - if it's still there it could be an alternative location and the weather in those parts would encourage the RBC members to change their minds about coming to the UK".

From goggle maps the old place is still there but I couldn't see any high security enclosure, though I have fond memories of bouncing on and off the runway there in 1971 in that constant thrust variable noise Jet Provost Mk3 perfecting my circuits as briefed.

One possible problem with placing the R B C fit young men there is that it's a wonderful location from which to pop off a missile at any of the many passenger jets arriving/departing Newcastle Woolsington airport.

With current UK prison security so abysmal, acquiring such a device might be easier than we think, particularly when one thinks of all the kit which was left for the mujahadeen and the later hasty departure from Afghanistan.

One can only hope the propellant and electronics of these toys has significantly deteriorated past their use-by-date in the interim?

Not that any of them might be so inclined seeing as how they've all been checked on arrival into the UK before being transferred to their holiday location in Northumberland, a beautiful county which deserves better consideration from the Whitehall desk-pushers.

But certainly the weather, especially when the wind turns easterly, would be good mobile phone footage to send home to the various sandpits... :-?

Meanwhile, back at the grave of the non-reflective canine... :))

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:10 am

4mastacker wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:52 am

There used to be a nice high-security enclosure on one of RAF Ouston's runways - if it's still there it could be an alternative location and the weather in those parts would encourage the RBC members to change their minds about coming to the UK.
Used to hold the Trident nuclear missile convoys on their way to and from Faslane.

Ouston now known as Albemarle Barracks.
The barracks were established, on the site of the former RAF Ouston airbase, in 1970. The barracks were occupied by Junior Signalmans Wing of 11 Signal Regiment in the 1970s, before they were handed over to the Junior Infantry Battalion in the mid-1980s.
The barracks were home to 39 Regiment Royal Artillery from 1995 until that regiment disbanded there in February 2015.
On 13 July 2015 3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery started transferring from its former base in Bergen-Hohne Garrison, Germany.
Its runways are used as a stop-off point for nuclear warheads convoys en-route via road between RNAD Coulport and AWE Aldermaston as part of the UK Trident programme.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:19 pm

Well, the Immigration Minister has announced that Scampton will be one of the accommodation centres thus jeopardising a £300 million proposed re-development of the site. Well done. Takes a "speshul" kind of politician to throw an adjacent local economy under the bus. I note our useless MP has been very silent on the matter.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:44 pm

BBC Look North reporting the station sign and gate guardian have been removed from the main entrance.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:55 pm

I note our useless MP has been very silent on the matter.
He's been silent publicly. I'm sure he's been very vocal in private, and no doubt his buy-off will become apparent in about 6 months time, once the media are busy with something else.

Think of it as part of Scampton being preserved.....the Scam.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#29 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu May 11, 2023 3:26 pm

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu May 11, 2023 9:23 pm

I watched The Dambusters film for a few minutes on TV last week. Couldn't believe they had edited the film so the dog was called Trigger. Why change history! If they had to then Digger would have been a better choice.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#31 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:41 am

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by Boac » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:28 pm

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#33 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:42 am

I agree with this. I just hope that no one defaces the grave stone.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:48 am

I suggest altering the gravestone to read 'Nigel'.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#35 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:57 am

Why should it be changed to anything? 'Nigger' was his name. It is historical fact.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by 1DC » Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:11 pm

Saw the start of the meeting on the local tv, the hall was packed to the rafters with locals the majority, by far, supporting the black dog staying where he is. Don't think the council dare go against them if they had wanted to..

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:59 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:42 am
I agree with this. I just hope that no one defaces the grave stone.
Our currently serving colleagues did just that when they replaced the original grave stone with one that did not carry Nigger's name. All down to the wokery that infests today's RAF.