The US army VTOL...

MoreAviation

The US army VTOL...

#1 Post by MoreAviation » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:05 am

I was fascinated to come across the history of this aircraft whose existence I had hitherto being unaware of...

The Ryan XV-5 Vertifan was a jet-powered V/STOL experimental aircraft in the 1960s. The United States Army (US Army) commissioned the Ryan VZ-11-RY (re-designated XV-5A in 1962) in 1961...

The XV-5 was powered by two 2,658 lbf (11.8 kN) thrust General Electric J85-GE-5 turbojets. General Electric X353-5 Lift-fans in the wings and a smaller fan in the nose, powered by engine exhaust gas, were used for Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL). The 62.5 in (1.59 m) diameter lift fan in each wing had a hinged cover on the upper wing surface which was opened for VTOL.[1] The 36 in (0.91 m) nose fan provided adequate pitch control but produced adverse handling characteristics. The fans provided vertical lift of approximately 16,000 lbf (71.2 kN), nearly three times the thrust of the engines as turbojets.

A set of louvered vanes underneath each of the wing fans could vector the thrust fore and aft and provided yaw control. The engine power setting determined the lift from the fans, as fan RPM was determined by the exhaust output from the J85 engines and the load on the fan.[2] Roll control was by differential actuation of the wing-fan exit louvers.

Aircraft performance was subsonic, with delta wings superficially similar to those on the A-4 Skyhawk. The Vertifan had an unusual intake position above the two-seat side-by-side seating cockpit, and a T-tail.

The XV-5A was finished in Army green and the XV-5B was painted in white NASA colors. The fans did not generate as much thrust as was hoped, and the vertical-horizontal flight transition was difficult and abrupt. The XV-5 would be one of the last manned aircraft designed and built by Ryan, which mainly manufactured drones after the mid 1960s.

The XV-5 was one of many dozens of aircraft which attempted to produce a successful vertical takeoff aircraft, but the lift fan system was heavy and occupied considerable internal volume. Only the Hawker Siddeley Harrier would still be operational by the turn of the 21st century, as would technology to make possible the use of a shaft-driven fan in the F-35.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_XV-5_Vertifan

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XkJXSoTTb4[/bbvideo]

https://warisboring.com/the-u-s-army-wa ... .b82pi46wp

The type's development history was fraught with inter-service rivalries as well multiple technical and operational problems and crashes killing all but one of its test pilots...

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_M_4Csimm4[/bbvideo]

Ultimately development was discontinued and the world started to forget about this, the last of Ryan's aircraft.

MA

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The US army VTOL...

#2 Post by Boac » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:59 am

Thanks MA for the reminder. Two very unfortunate fatal accidents there. Overall an ingenious design with good power redundancy according to the reports.

Interesting also to see the way Lockeed approached the problem with the XV4. XV4 testing

Having flown the Harrier I most respectfully doff my hat to those pilots!

MoreAviation

#3 Post by MoreAviation » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:52 am

It was interesting to watch the F-35 in full hover mode at Farnborough this year. None of the crowd pleasing 'bowing' because the fly by wire system coupled to the reaction control system does not allow that in the flight envelope. I doff my hat in utter respect to you guys who flew the Harrier manually (or who flew the Harrier at all for that matter).

At the risk of being impertinent (in both senses of the word), do you/did you fly helicopters as well Boac?

MA

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:26 am

Just the odd (many!) 'scrounged' trips in my life plus the 10 hour pre-Harrier intro to 'hoovering' on the Whirlwind at RAF Shawbury.

Why 'impertinent'?

MoreAviation

#5 Post by MoreAviation » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:34 am

Boac wrote:Just the odd (many!) 'scrounged' trips in my life plus the 10 hour pre-Harrier intro to 'hoovering' on the Whirlwind at RAF Shawbury.

Why 'impertinent'?

Impertinent in the sense of the question maybe not being pertinent to the subject at hand and, possibly, just being a little forward in asking such a question on a public forum. I mean not just anybody got selected to fly Harriers after all! :)

MA

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Boac » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:21 am

not just anybody got selected to fly Harriers
- indeed - I had to push hard for the privilege! Initially 'declined' in 1970 and sent to fly Lightnings instead it took me until 1977 to achieve the goal - and I later built my first overseas tour (Germany) into the 'request'. :-bd

Ironic that I finished up ejecting from a broken Harrier after all that. 8-|

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:33 pm

Boac wrote:Ironic that I finished up ejecting from a broken Harrier after all that. 8-|

Did you break it Boac? Or was it like so many entries in F700's - it just happened. As someone who spent many happy years un-breaking Aunty Betty's airies, it's always of interest.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Boac » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:47 pm

The airframe fitter who left a pop-rivet mandrel in the intake ducting following stop drilling of the relief intake doors actually started the 'break' - I merely finished the 'break' some flying hours later when the fatigue fracture on the third stage compressor blades let go. The ship certainly did not land very well...............

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by 500N » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Boac, at least you are still here which is the important thing.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Boac » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:37 pm

Like other ejectees, I have always viewed the event as 'my second birthday'.