The Birth of the Israeli Airforce...

MoreAviation

The Birth of the Israeli Airforce...

#1 Post by MoreAviation » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:59 pm

I found this really fascinating article on the use of the Czech derivative of the Bf.109 in the early Israeli air force in the ever excellent http://www.warisboring.com

Nazi designed fighter saved Israel

Yet it soon became evident that the greatest danger to Israeli pilots came not from enemy fighters and flak, but from the Avias themselves.

To begin with, the S-199’s narrow landing gear made the aircraft unstable while landing and prone to flipping over — a problem that the original Bf.109 suffered from, as well. It soon became a routine for neighboring Yemeni farmers to pull down flipped over Avias with wooden poles. Such accidents were made even worse by the side-locking canopy which could not be opened by the pilot.

The Avia’s MG.151 cannons jammed more often than not. The nose-mounted 13-millimeter MG 131 machine guns regularly fell out of synchronization for unknown reasons — with the horrifying result that many Avia pilots shot off their own propellers.

The enormous propellers — intended for use on large bombers — also created intense leftward torque, making landings and takeoffs especially dangerous. The S-199’s accident rate grew so bad that Israeli pilots began taking bets each time an Avia attempted a landing on whether it would crash or not. When Avias flew alongside other aircraft, they always landed last so that any wreckage from a crash wouldn’t obstruct the other planes.

MA

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Birth of the Israeli Airforce...

#2 Post by ian16th » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:53 pm

Many, many years ago I read a book with I believe the name, 'A History of the Israeli Air Force'.

The very early days were full of great achievements of very hard work and improvisation.

The built airworthy Spitfires from what the RAF left as scrap in the dumps at a M.U.

While at Istres I assisted with the re-fuelling of an IAF Meteor. This was stretching the UK and Allied Air Forces a little, but it was just after Suez ^:)^

A piece of trivia, the 1st and last Me109's built, both had Rolls Royce engines.

The prototype was fitted with a Kestrel, and the last one was Spanish built, and it was fitted with a Merlin.

Not a lot of people know that.
Cynicism improves with age

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Birth of the Israeli Airforce...

#3 Post by om15 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:45 pm

I have a copy of "The Israeli Air force Story" by Murray Rubinstein and Richard Goldman (1980), as well as the S-199 they operated Mk 16 Spitfires, near scrap Bristol Beaufighters, B17's, P-51 Mustangs (from Sweden), plus any transport aircraft they could lay their hands on.

Amazing story and how they overcame the odds to keep flying and winning. I was a regular visitor to Dov Airport up until fairly recently, and the "can do" attitude is still there.