Sea Vixen pictures

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Sea Vixen pictures

#1 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:02 pm

Look good on my smartphone so should be even better on a big screen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tline.html

:-bd
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Sea Vixen pictures

#2 Post by boing » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:49 pm

Being firmly ground based myself the Sea Vixen was one of those aircraft I knew about but did not know much about. I guess I thought about it as having a similar, but obviously much earlier, role as the F14 Tomcat, fleet defense.

Always seemed to be the problem with aircraft carriers. Damned useful to project power but so valuable that half of the capability they possessed was taken up defending themselves.

Certainly an original design and one that could be developed as a high-mach vehicle. To keep the upgrade simple give it a new wing and two new generation motors it would be a supersonic fighter with good control because of the high horizontal tail plane, plenty of armament space and a two man crew and a good radar. Not a nice opponent at night or in bad weather even low down.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by 500N » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:42 pm

Looks superb and great pictures.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:04 pm

http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/Airc ... aVixen.htm

See Nov 70 and July 71. Geoff was my deputy on 10 Sqn. On the first accident they went into the water EFATO. His pilot died. Geoff came up on the floatation device behind the ship. He applied for the MB tie and they said no because it wasn't an ejection. The second one was his first flight after the accident to refamilarise from Yeovilton. He landed in a pub car park and was very well looked after by the landlord before the emergency services arrived. His pilot was OK but broke a leg I think. He got his tie that time. That was his last flight on secondment with the dark blue, he asked to go back to the light blue.

He used to protect me from any unwanted visitors in our secure ops room. The now Mrs Ex-Ascot got around this by invading at lunchtime and asking to be taken on a Washington weekend schedule which apparently I had promised her years before in the OM bar at AKT in The Gulf War. The rest is history.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:59 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:Geoff came up on the floatation device behind the ship. He applied for the MB tie and they said no because it wasn't an ejection. The second one was his first flight after the accident to refamilarise from Yeovilton. ............ His pilot was OK but broke a leg I think. He got his tie that time. .

The things people do just to get a tie.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by ian16th » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:17 pm

Alisoncc wrote:
Ex-Ascot wrote:Geoff came up on the floatation device behind the ship. He applied for the MB tie and they said no because it wasn't an ejection. The second one was his first flight after the accident to refamilarise from Yeovilton. ............ His pilot was OK but broke a leg I think. He got his tie that time. .

The things people do just to get a tie.

Alison

Don't they also get a rather nice watch?

Of all the bang seats that MB have manufactured, what proportion actually get used? Not just sat in, but someone pulls the handle, on purpose.

When I 1st worked on a/c fitted with them, on Canberra B2's at Coningsby 1956, and attended the compulsory safety lecture, we were happily informed that they killed more ground crew than saved aircrew!
Cynicism improves with age