No.1 School of Technical Training, RAF Halton

Blacksheep
Snr FO
Snr FO
No.1 School of Technical Training, RAF Halton

#1 Post by Blacksheep » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:29 pm

Today in history:

The 105th and penultimate entry of Aircraft Apprentices were attested 52 years ago today, starting at 08:00hrs on the ground floor of Block 8, No.3(A) Wing, Maitland Barracks and thence for their first encounter with "Fagash Flo'" at the RAF Halton barbers shop.

Thus began my continuing career as an "Aviation Professional". :)

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: No.1 School of Technical Training, RAF Halton

#2 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Blacksheep is a sprog. Blacksheep is a sprog. Blacksheep is a sprog. :D :D

I'll leave my boots out for you to polish later, sproglet. :))

96th Entry RAF Locking.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Sisemen

#3 Post by Sisemen » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:04 pm

We joined at the same time Blacksheep - only in my case it was the 50th entry Boy Entrants at Hereford.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:22 pm

Blacksheep wrote:The 105th and penultimate entry of Aircraft Apprentices were attested 52 years ago today,

I always understood that Halton didn't have entries like Locking. They had intakes. :))

sprintman

#5 Post by sprintman » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:55 am

Off topic but I was born in a hospital on or near RAF Halton.

Blacksheep
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6 Post by Blacksheep » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:50 am

PMRAF Hospital, Halton no doubt. I was warded there for a week after breaking an ankle just before Xmas '65.

Locking had apprentices? Goodness me: you learn something new every day.

Alisoncc, yes, I'm a Rook and I salute you - but do you know, I have one of the 32nd living in my patch? A proper old gentleman he is. Never mind collar studs, the 32nd were the last entry to wear puttees. Now that's REAL senior entry stuff. ;)

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:00 am

Blacksheep you remember the collar studs. Same shirt but a clean collar everyday. Not just clean but starched.

Oh, and the orange goo in big drums that was used to polish the lino floors with a bumper and squares of torn up blanket. Interesting times indeed.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by ian16th » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:11 am

Alisoncc wrote:Blacksheep you remember the collar studs. Same shirt but a clean collar everyday. Not just clean but starched.

Oh, and the orange goo in big drums that was used to polish the lino floors with a bumper and squares of torn up blanket. Interesting times indeed.

Turned it over, and got 2 days out of a collar.

How did we get by on 9 items of laundry a week?
Cynicism improves with age

Sisemen

#9 Post by Sisemen » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:07 pm

And you could buy plastic collars from the NAAFI. I'm really not sure why we did; they were horrible to wear and were sweaty. The only advantage that I could see was that you could scrub the mank off them each evening and wear them again straight away.

Blacksheep
Snr FO
Snr FO

#10 Post by Blacksheep » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:21 pm

How did we get by on 9 items of laundry a week?

Easy. We were teenagers...

We kept our rooms tidy by throwing everything into our lockers and forcing the door shut. I remember the sock test - throw the sock at the wall and if it doesn't stick it's good to go. When I was in hospital with the broken ankle our room had an inspection. The Zobbit tried to move my locker to see if I'd dusted the pipes behind it (I had) but he couldn't shift it. Unknown to him there was a motorbike engine in there - I was in the middle of overhauling it.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:28 pm

At Sleaford Tech one of my colleagues was found polishing his batwoman. =)) Both relocated.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

admin
Chief Engineer

#12 Post by admin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:37 pm

Ours were the same as Ian16th's collars. No plastic in my day. Stay-brite cap badges were just coming in, but not for formal parades. Here's two of my favourite badges:

wheel1.gif

sparks1.jpg

There's an interesting story about the shoulder flashes. The hierachical structure of the British armed forces went back centuries. An erk could speak to a junior NCO and no higher. A junior NCO could speak to a senior NCO and no higher. A senior NCO could speak to a junior officer and no higher, etc. etc. It was worth more than your average foot soldiers life if he attempted to speak to an officer directly in the British Army or Navy during the Duke of Wellington's day for instance.

When radio telecommunications was introduced it was realised that if an erk - radio operator, received a message for the senior management then having it transferred up the structure could be time consuming. So wearing of the shoulder flashes signified the wearer was authorised to speak to any level of the management without prior approval. That's why so many of us who got to wear them were such a bolshoi lot. :))

:)

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:49 pm

Many happy memories of RAF (Hosp) Halton. Based there for a couple of years in the early 90's first on the Renal Unit then as Senior Night Sister. Heard many an amusing story including when the apprentices set up table for breakfast without tables which were on the roof =))
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Blacksheep
Snr FO
Snr FO

#14 Post by Blacksheep » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:25 am

having it transferred up the structure could be time consuming

Dad was a signaller in the wartime navy. Being a teenaged Ordinary Signalman in a destroyer, during action stations his position was in the wheelhouse/ops room. The radio operator would write down the message as received and Dad's job was to decode it, write it down in plain text on a message pad and take it up to the bridge just above. There he would hand it to the Yeoman of Signals who would give it to the Skipper. The Skipper would tell the Yeoman any reply and the Yeoman would write it down and give the reply to Dad. He then coded the reply and gave it to the radio operator for sending. Complicated?

He sometimes mentioned things from his time as a boy signaller in the battleship King George Vth. They were just like any bunch of Trenchard Brats. An example: One dark moonless night Dad's messmate went up top for lookout duty. Arriving there he reported for duty by calling out "Watch change! I'm here. You can all piss off now". The Commander (Exec for Americans) happened to be present in the watch-keeper's position, just behind the bridge and from the darkness came the reply. "I say! That's very kind of you" and off he pissed. Leaving one very bemused set of look-outs.

[They were at anchor in Scapa Flow at the time]

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by om15 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:18 pm

Found this interesting photo, civilian Instrument Fitter Instructors c 1950, possibly 56 Entry

1950.jpg
1950.jpg (199.18 KiB) Viewed 938 times

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by ian16th » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:11 am

Suggestion!

For the new website an this thread title be changed to Technical Training Command?

Almost all of my training, man & Boy was at No2 Radio School RAF Yatesbury. I was there for part of each year from 1952 to 1959.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:24 pm

Aaah!! Yatesbury, remember it well. That and the Calne Flier. Did ECM training there in 1964, went back a few times -TACAN and Red Steer. Was there for the last knees up in the NAAFI up before it closed down.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by ian16th » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:02 pm

Alisoncc wrote:Aaah!! Yatesbury, remember it well. That and the Calne Flier. Did ECM training there in 1964, went back a few times -TACAN and Red Steer. Was there for the last knees up in the NAAFI up before it closed down.

Everybody that went to Yatesbury or Compton Basset remembers the Calne Flyer.
Calne Flyer.jpg
Calne Flyer.jpg (18.22 KiB) Viewed 926 times
Calne Flyer II.jpg
Calne Flyer II.jpg (116.99 KiB) Viewed 926 times