I need help please...

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt
I need help please...

#1 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:39 am

I received an email today to me as an admin of a web site I host that has zero traffic but I leave up there for this very reason. The email reads as follows:-

Hello Adrian,

I am writing to request your guidance on how best to make contact with any surviving members of No.33 Squadron who may have served with my wife's father Flt Lt Dennis Parsons, a Hornet pilot, who was killed in action in Malaya in 1953: We would also be grateful for your guidance on how to obtain detailed information on the circumstances of his fatal crash.

I should point out that we are aware of the general circumstances his death and tragic events that followed (having obtained a copy of his service records and other information in the public domain). However, in an extraordinary turn of events we have recently become aware of, and made contact with Dennis's younger brother Donald, now 90yrs old and living in New York: Donald has told us that the family were given nothing but the most basic facts at the time of his brother's death and has expressed his long-held desire to know more.
We would be most grateful if you could help us in this pursuit.

With thanks and kind regards,

Chris and Dee *********

I, clearly have no idea where to start but would desperately like to help this man - I have formed an appreciation of family history over the last decade and I know how that "missing piece" can niggle like a tick.

So, is there anyone here that can guide me or should I send him to the other place? Or, is there someone here that can shed light on the incident that might give this gentleman some closure?

I know this small community has the resources so go ahead and make Alison prouder of what she spawned... I dare you... :)
Reasons for being banned to date:-

1. Espousing extreme views
2. PITA, (love this one)...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: I need help please...

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:30 am

Have they tried the 33 Sqn F540s (Operational Record Book) These can now be viewed online for a small charge (£3.30), or for free by visiting the National Archives at Kew
Here's the link to the May 1953 records of 33 Sqn
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... r/D8423917

There is now a 33 Sqn Association (only formed a couple of years ago).This link seems not to have had a post since last year, but may be worth a go.
http://www.33sqnassociation.co.uk/

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:18 pm

Fox:

Thanks for that, I'll put him onto that link.

The 33 Sqn. Association is hosted by me and is the site I leave there for just this event even though it gets almost zero traffic.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:08 pm

I have found the National Archives to be very helpful. I researched a chap's brother as a favour, in a similar situation to Chris and Dee. He was shot down in '43 on his 3rd mission. You can join the National Archives online, and have up to 10 (I think) documents pre-ordered for your arrival.

I would recommend inspecting the ORB first. They may find, as I did, that inspecting the relevant month and a couple of months before the incident tells them all they need to know/are likely to find out. Loss reports / accident investigations from this time, if they can be found, are often very brief and add little. The command records (FEAF) will give more info on the strategy, which may be relevant if they are left wondering about the reason for the mission in the first place.

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:44 pm

They seem to be more concerned that what the brother/family was told after is death may not have been err.. accurate and complete... I pointed out that the operations records "may give a more complete picture than the post event, somewhat sanitized, version"...

Beaufort

#6 Post by Beaufort » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:04 pm

Would it be worth making contact with RAFA?

https://www.rafa.org.uk/

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:22 pm

Beaufort:

I'm not sure. He told me he has the May 1953 Operations Records and is looking through those. I'll suggest it to him and see whether he wants to follow that route...

Thanks

Blacksheep
Snr FO
Snr FO

#8 Post by Blacksheep » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:10 pm

33 Squadron exists and operates Pumas out of RAF Benson.