Jerry Pook - RAF Harrier Ground Attack

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Jerry Pook - RAF Harrier Ground Attack

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed May 13, 2020 3:22 am

I am currently reading the book noted above and am somewhat disconcerted by the very vitriolic, not to say angry tone, adopted by the author who flew for an RAF Harrier outfit that was seconded and converted to fly off HMS Hermes during the Falklands war. His most trenchant criticisms are for the Naval modus operandi, particularly operational and intelligence, and senior officers on board the Hermes. He goes far beyond the normal amount of friction that might be expected between services in any operational setting in any country and is scathing about the Naval setup, to the point of critiquing the service for been biased and attempting to write the RAF's role in the war out of history.

Has anybody here who might know about this period of history, and who might even have been there, or who have read the book, any comments on the above.

The book is a cracking read and clearly Pook knows his stuff but he goes a lot further than the Navy's very own aviation maverick Sharkey Ward went in his own book 'Sea Harrier Over the Falklands: A Maverick at War' read by me some 18 years ago now.

http://video.flyingheritage.com/v/11710 ... y-pook.htm

Sharkey Ward
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Jerry Pook - RAF Harrier Ground Attack

#2 Post by Boac » Wed May 13, 2020 7:18 am

David Morgan, a fellow Harrier pilot, has made much public utterances on his very interesting life, switching between RN, RAF and back to RN. A terrific Falklands record. His views on Hermes and its Captain are public record too. We have some coverage here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5392&hilit=hermes&start=20#p230319.

'Mogwi' ('Moggie' in my day) did a short spell with Virgin on the 747 after leaving the service, briefly achieving command (although it is said with a 'style' of operating that did not meet with universal approval...). Said to have suffered PTSD after the Falkands, which is not surprising, though I know of some mil aviators who suffered (expensively) from 'PTStewardessDisorder' =))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed May 13, 2020 8:16 am

Which sells most, saccharine or bitter lemon?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by G-CPTN » Wed May 13, 2020 8:33 am

ISTR that Pook was a fictional 'out of this world' (ie alien) cartoon character in a children's comic in the 1950s.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Wed May 13, 2020 8:45 am

saccharine, PN

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed May 13, 2020 8:57 am

I am a bitter lemon person in the sense that I hate mindless optimism but I also loathe Jonah's and albatross attractors. "They said it couldn't get worse, but of course it did!"

Saccharine types often tend to be yes men and end up working as smiling executives in the city among other useless endeavours in life... Only a fool has a smile on his face all the time.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed May 13, 2020 12:09 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:18 am
David Morgan, a fellow Harrier pilot, has made much public utterances on his very interesting life, switching between RN, RAF and back to RN. A terrific Falklands record. His views on Hermes and its Captain are public record too. We have some coverage here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5392&hilit=hermes&start=20#p230319.

'Mogwi' ('Moggie' in my day) did a short spell with Virgin on the 747 after leaving the service, briefly achieving command (although it is said with a 'style' of operating that did not meet with universal approval...). Said to have suffered PTSD after the Falkands, which is not surprising, though I know of some mil aviators who suffered (expensively) from 'PTStewardessDisorder' =))
He clearly was a forceful and determined character if his battle to overcome his heart condition and fly are anything to go by.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsuppo ... tal-defect
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed May 13, 2020 6:10 pm

Given that I have too much free time on my hands I purchased Dave Morgan's book 'Hostile Skies'.

I wonder if Jerry Pook, being a mud mover, was a little jealous of the air supremacy/ fighter types and wanted to do what Morgan et al were doing with the Harrier...

Hurtling along at almost 0 feet QFE in zero visibility with every bugger, including his own, throwing rocks, shooting and firing missiles, at him, couldn't have been much fun. Brave man/men.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed May 13, 2020 9:01 pm

Hey Boac, you must know some of these old bastards.. whose arse can we poke for an interview or "a **** off" or worse?

Better men than me...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Boac » Thu May 14, 2020 7:15 am

Yes, a lot, but I don't think many would want to 'interview'. If you are into 'Harriers' I suggest 'Harrier Boys' (currently two books) by Bob Marston.