Lord Dowsing Nameplate

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Lord Dowsing Nameplate

#1 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:34 am

from the Telegraph
Retired RAF officer accused of stealing train nameplate

An RAF officer stole a commemorative nameplate for a Battle of Britain steam train from his base and sold it to a dealer for £12,000, a court has heard.

Philip Angus, 66, a retired squadron leader, is alleged to have stolen the metal nameplate from a secure fine arts store at RAF Bentley Priory between January 1999 and January 2000.

Mr Angus, who denies theft, was in charge of the officers’ mess on his base and claims he took the nameplate home for restoration, Harrow Crown Court heard. It bears the name “Lord Dowding” and was a tribute to Air Chief Marshal Hugh Dowding.

It was one of two identical nameplates that sat on either side of a steam locomotive from 1947 named in honour of the Battle of Britain.

The nameplate was loaned to RAF Bentley Priory in 1990 by Lord Dowding’s stepson, David Whiting. James Keeley, prosecuting, said that Mr Whiting had requested the return of his family heirlooms in 2006 but the nameplate could not be found.

It was sold between 2010 and 2011 to David Jones, 62, a dealer. He denies handling stolen goods. Mr Angus claimed he had “agreed to dispose of some old memorabilia” in 1999, the court heard. The trial continues.
Sounds like he was the Mess Manager and had access to the Property Store. I once had to audit the station property book at Waddington. I guess half the stuff was missing or miss identified. Fortunately most was trivial stuff that should never have been there in the first place. When I totted up the value of what we had it was nominally over a million and insurance was unaffordable.

The one at the Mess at Wittering was also hugely unaffordable. There were two huge Shepherd's, one of the Valiant and the other the Victor. Neither were appreciated by the new boys with their jump jet and had been dumped in a store room. They were conservatively valued at £5,000 each 50 years ago.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Lord Dowsing Nameplate

#2 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:59 am

Dowsing????

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Lord Dowsing Nameplate

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:48 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:59 am
Dowsing????
=))

I think this is another intervention by PN's infamous spell checker. I assume he was dowsing for Dowding!

The officer was cleared of the charge by the way.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/r ... 49460.html

Lord Dowsing (oops... Dowding)
Lord Dowsing.jpg
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."