Operation Pontifex

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Operation Pontifex

#21 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:55 pm

Firestreak had a very limited look angle and was only a 'rear segment' weapon. Much as we had fun with the Vulcoon (and were defeated every time :)) ) we knew that in real terms no bomber of threat would take to dancing around the skies like that upsetting Lightning pilots and we would end up with a tail-on engagement where we could light the blue touch-paper.

The geometry of a 'head-on' with M2 closing speeds required a turn to start well before abeam!!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:04 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:55 pm
Firestreak had a very limited look angle and was only a 'rear segment' weapon. Much as we had fun with the Vulcoon (and were defeated every time :)) ) we knew that in real terms no bomber of threat would take to dancing around the skies like that upsetting Lightning pilots and we would end up with a tail-on engagement where we could light the blue touch-paper.

The geometry of a 'head-on' with M2 closing speeds required a turn to start well before abeam!!
"Rear segment weapon".

So in a sense you were looking for a bummer with the Vulcan then! :))

The venerable Vulcan seems to have been a pretty agile bird!

Firestreak.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:55 pm

PN wrote:I can't remember his name except he had ginger hair
Only gingerheed I can think of was Cliff Wilmer, 56 Cyprus? (Digging out the RAM from 40 years ago!)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:38 pm

BOAC, spot on. Nearer 50 I think.

I remember some PIs in particular but will bore you with only two.

The first was with a Javelin where we got in to a simulated IMC defence. I held him on Fishpool at about 5 miles in our 7 o'clock as we kept turning and keeping him of of our 6. I think the AEO had him on Red Steer. I can't remember whether he had a lock on, I think he did.

After 2 or 3 orbits we had reached about 48k and still hung on. Eventually the Boss got bored and called knock it off. The Javelin was indeed at 5 miles but was at 25k.

The next one was with a pair of Sea Vixen. Compared with the Javelin their performance was on a par with ours but worse a pair was a very much harder proposition and unlikely what we might have met with the Soviets.

Of course we cheated.

The Vixens approached about 5 miles apart. Whichever way we turned we would expose our 6. Now they were ultra cool and dispensed with callsigns.

As we turned towards one we heard "He's turning towards you Clive I'll take him.". Well that was Clive sorted.

We reversed followed by "No Claus, he's turning to you, I've got him". That was Claud sorted.

Another couple of weaves followed by "I've got him" and we sailed serenely between the pair.

As BOAC said, in upper air you needed a good setup and avoid a turning fight. An F106 sqn out of Goose learnt that to their cost.

Oh, one more, this an RAAF F86 and a bar room bet. It was along the lines that the F86 could nail the Vulcan after that Javelin had failed. Both were to depart together and the Vulcan generously offered the F86 to go first. After line up that was the last time the F86 saw the Vulcan.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:45 pm

There was another pilot on 56, can't remember his name but I think he made Gp Capt. Aside from one exercise what I remember was his Quad sound system.

He was one or two doors down. Anyway he bought this brand new Quad sound system. Brand new in that it was the first in Cyprus. He also bought all the Quad records available. Being brand new, there was only one record on the island.

Another pilot I remember well was Dave Cyster.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:43 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:38 pm

Oh, one more, this an RAAF F86 and a bar room bet. It was along the lines that the F86 could nail the Vulcan after that Javelin had failed. Both were to depart together and the Vulcan generously offered the F86 to go first. After line up that was the last time the F86 saw the Vulcan.
Didn't the RAAF have F86's fitted with RR Avon's?
Cynicism improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:20 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:45 pm
There was another pilot on 56, can't remember his name but I think he made Gp Capt. Aside from one exercise what I remember was his Quad sound system.

He was one or two doors down. Anyway he bought this brand new Quad sound system. Brand new in that it was the first in Cyprus. He also bought all the Quad records available. Being brand new, there was only one record on the island.

Another pilot I remember well was Dave Cyster.
A Quad amp, Linn Sondek turntable and Bose electrostatic speakers. Heaven in an ear canal and enough to get the cochlea vibrating.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:50 pm

Dave Cyster took his Tiger from UK to Aus in 1978, and as far as I know is still with us.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:35 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:50 pm
Dave Cyster took his Tiger from UK to Aus in 1978, and as far as I know is still with us.
Trip well documented in Flight International at the time...

https://www.ivanrendall.me/index.php/ar ... article-15
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."