Operation Pontifex

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Operation Pontifex

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:37 pm

I was rereading the detail of Operation Pontifex tonight.
Operation Pontifex.
This involved Valiants of No. 543 Squadron at RAF Wyton, that were modified to serve in the photographic reconnaissance role, being sent to undertake a survey of Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia), Southern Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and Bechuanaland (Botswana) in July 1964. The unit was based in Southern Rhodesia for the job which was one of the largest photographic mapping efforts carried out by the RAF and, as it turned out, among the last major Valiant force tasks. The planned 11-week operation used three Valiants, four crews and 100 support personnel to complete a 400,000sq mile (1,035,995km) survey operating from Salisbury (now Harare) Airport.
The scale of this work was, and still is, very impressive.

The Valiant is probably the least well remembered of the V-Bombers, its nearly ten-year service career overshadowed by its dramatic withdrawal due to severe airframe fatigue problems. The Valiant was a pioneer, a photographic-reconnaissance version envisaged from the early design phase because of its promised superior performance. The first Valiant photoreconnaissance airframe, WP205, was designated as a B.(PR)1 and made its maiden flight on October 8, 1954. As well as camera equipment, extra fuel tanks were also installed to give it an extended range. Eleven B.(PR)1s were built and entered service as part of Bomber Command’s ‘Main Force’ photographic reconnaissance squadron, at RAF Gaydon, Warwickshire, re-formed as 543 Sqn on April 1, 1955.

Valiant.JPG
Valiant.JPG (27.16 KiB) Viewed 830 times

The unit slowly grew and transferred to RAF Wyton, (then in Huntingdonshire), finally reaching its full eight operational aircraft complement in April 1956. During their careers the B.(PR)1 variants flew with most Valiant squadrons including: 49, 90, 138, 148, 207, 214 in addition to 543. First flying in January 1956, with an air-refuelling p ack in the bomb bay, 13 Valiants operated as tankers while retaining their reconnaissance capability. The converted aircraft were designated B.(PR)K1s and flew with 7, 90, 138, 148, 214 and 543 Sqns.
In the photo reconnaissance role, the Valiant B.(PR)1 carried a camera ‘crate’ installed in the bomb bay, which could be set up in several configurations. This could consist of up to eight F.52 cameras usually fitted with 36 or 48in (91 or 122cm) focal length lenses, or a fan arrangement to give horizon to horizon coverage. There was also provision for vertically mounted F.49 ‘survey’ cameras with 6in (15cm) lens and fixed rear bomb-bay mountings for oblique imagery. The cameras were controlled from either the prone bombing position in the nose, or at the console on the starboard side of the Valiant’s rear cabin, depending on the task. In the night photographic configuration, two port and two starboard sideways-facing cameras were installed in the crate and powerful night photoflashes carried in the rear of the bomb bay, controlled by the radar navigator and the Valiant’s bombing system.

VALIANT RADAR RECONNAISSANCE
One Valiant was trialled with the Yellow Aster system linked to its H2S radar to provide highquality radar imagery, with a small 35mm camera used to record screen images. This later led to a major equipment trial for 543 Sqn, which deployed an aircraft to Canada on three occasions from autumn 1955 to summer 1956 under the name Operation Snow Trip. During the first deployment they took radar pictures of northern Canada’s terrain, watching the transition from summer to winter. The second deployment covered the thaw followed by a final third deployment in summer 1956. They ascertained how much the radar imagery was affected by seasonal changes, particularly snow and temperature. Additionally, on several occasions, 543 Sqn supported British nuclear test operations in the Pacific, committed to pre- and post-test reconnaissance.
The maritime radar reconnaissance (MRR) task was developed by the squadron’s crews. From 40,000ft the Valiants H2S radar could see about 180nm and was used during regular patrols up the North Sea to the North Cape, across to Iceland and the eastern Atlantic.

SURVEY WORK
Reconnaissance Valiants carried out substantial survey and disaster assistance work around the world. In 1961 543 Sqn deployed to British Honduras to provide damage assessment images in support of civil authorities after a severe hurricane.
Closer to home, in February 1962, severe gales hit Sheffield and a 543 Sqn aircraft was dispatched to photograph the considerable damage. More typical were deployments to conduct survey work including: Thailand, the Seychelles, Solomon and the Santa Cruz Islands and the New Hebrides to name just a few. Perhaps the best known was 543 Sqn Valiants’ Operation Pontifex.
This involved a detachment being sent to undertake a survey of Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia), Southern Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and Bechuanaland (Botswana) in July 1964. The unit was based in Southern Rhodesia for the job which was one of the largest photographic mapping efforts carried out by the RAF and, as it turned out, among the last major Valiant force tasks. The planned 11-week operation used three Valiants, four crews and 100 support personnel to complete a 400,000sq mile (1,035,995km) survey operating from Salisbury (now Harare) Airport.
An early issue was heavy static electrical discharges to the rear bomb-bay camera that damaged films. This was partially solved by controlling the film storage cans’ humidity and temperature. Early-morning departures were standard on this deployment, the Valiants generally operated at 30,000ft from first light, flying their pre-determined routes until running out of film. The task was completed in 110 sorties, over seven weeks and produced more than 27,000 photographs. While at Salisbury, one of the Valiants had developed a crack in the rear spar and so it was sent back to the UK for attention. This foreshadowed the imminent grounding of the entire fleet. By the time the last aircraft returned to RAF Wyton on August 26 the Valiant force was subject to very restricted flying of just a few aircraft. Most remained permanently grounded and in January 1965 the type was formally withdrawn from service.

RECCE VICTORS
A 1952 decision to include provision for a reconnaissance kit in the Victor specification proved extremely fortuitous. It too used a ‘camera pallet’ fitted into the aircraft’s bomb bay. Initial ideas envisaged 15 cameras, plus internally and externally carried photoflashes for night-reconnaissance operations. The second Victor prototype, WB775, was the trials airframe for the photoreconnaissance fit, even appearing at the 1955 Farnborough Airshow in the wartimereminiscent ‘PR blue’ paint scheme.
The Victor Radar Reconnaissance Flight (RRF) was formed at RAF Wyton in early 1958 to develop equipment and tactics. Initially established with three Victor B.1s arriving at the base between January and April 1958, the Flight was supplemented by a fourth aircraft from mid-1959.

Operation Pontifex.jpg

All V-bombers were to be guided to their targets by their sophisticated Navigation Bombing System (NBS) linked to their H2S Mk.9 radars. The H2S was the key tool for reconnaissance operations. Trials conducted by RRF Victors saw testing of the sideways looking Blue Shadow radar also used on special reconnaissance Canberras. It was probably used on both Baltic and Black Sea missions to establish accurate position fixes for V-bomber war routes. A far more advanced sideways-looking radar, known as Red Neck, was tested on another Victor using 40ft (12m) pod-mounted aerials. However, the in-flight flexing of the aerials caused a considerable quality loss and the system was abandoned. In October 1961, the RRF Victors were stripped of their special equipment and returned to training duties with 232 Operational Conversion Unit (OCU), the Victor training unit.

Development work of a photo-reconnaissance Victor continued using XA920 from 1959 and handed over to an early B.2 version, XH675, from October 1961. The bomb bay could be fitted with a combination of camera crates, fuel tanks and photoflashes for night photography. Among the equipment carried were F.49 and F.96s cameras for daytime photography, the latter particularly used for high-level operations, mounted in a fan to give horizon-to-horizon coverage. Up to four F.49s were used for mapping and survey work and F.89s were employed for night photography. Survey work included missions to Commonwealth states in Africa and the Caribbean with a productive mission generating more than 10,000ft (3,048m) of film for processing. The Victor had a 15% higher operational ceiling and 40% extra range over the earlier Valiants.
https://www.key.aero/article/v-force-reconnaissance

543 Squadron Operation Pontifex
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Operation Pontifex

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:49 pm

Valiant?

Looks like a Victor to me . . .

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:55 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:49 pm
Valiant?

Looks like a Victor to me . . .
It is indeed. "I wondered who would notice that Wilson..."

Right image. Wrong place.

I shall correct it immediately. Thanks for reading and noting my faux pas... o:-)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:01 am

Have I missed something?
"RECCE VICTORS" ??

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:32 am

Yes.

There was a picture in Air Clues of the tank farm in Merseyside. One picture showed the inside of a tank under construction; another showed the whole area including much of the river.
During the first deployment they took radar pictures of northern Canada’s terrain, watching the transition from summer to winter. The second deployment covered the thaw followed by a final third deployment in summer 1956.
The results of this trial were published in a document that we studied during target study many years later. What is showed was 'picture reversal '. In temperate climes the land will give various radar returns whereas rivers and lakes will show as dark areas on the radar. As temperatures drop rivers and lakes freeze and the ground becomes blanketed with snow. The picture contrast is reduced. However the early freeze and spring thaw can lead to river ice breaking up. The picture now reversed with the broken ice giving strong returns.

This is not confined to river ice and similar reversal occurs with sea pack ice. A false coast line can mislead too. I saw this on my first transatlantic and I think it may have confused the lost VC10 navigator too.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by ian16th » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:34 am

Maybe Fareastdriver can help fill in the blanks, and flaws in my memories, on this one. But my hands on knowledge is from Feb 1959 when I was posted onto 214 Sqdn till Feb 1965 when I was demobbed, with a 2 year gap while at Akrotiri Oct 62 to Oct 64, but during this period I was the 'contact man' for Duty Free whenever 214 came through Akrotiri. So I was knowledgable as to what was happening.

As at Feb 1959 214 were the only Valiants fitted with HDU's. We were doing 'trials' that were later deemed to be successful, at which point we became the RAF's 1st operational Tanker Sqdn. Our OC, Wing Co Mike Beetham was awarded an AFC for our efforts in achieving this.

While we were doing the trials, we were still officially a 'Bomber' sqdn and even did an Exercise Sunspot, 6 weeks at Luqa, Sept-Oct 1959.

After we became a tanker sqdn, 49 Sqdn was posted into Marham to make up the wing to 3 Sqdn's again. The other 2 sqdns were 148 and 207.

I NEVER saw a Photo Recon kit fitted to any Valiant at Marham!

There was a bracket that fitted a 35mm camera over the NBS screen. The Nav's didn't like it as it 'got in their way!'
PN Anything similar on Vulcans?
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:15 am

Aha! I see what happened - a Valiant effort at post editing, TGG.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:19 am

Ian, yes, the standard NBS fit was the R88. The standard 35mm film could take, IIRC, 360 frames. On every bomb run, after the NBC was set to Bomb, it would take a shot every 7.5 seconds. At bomb release the frame was marked with a white dot. In addition to the screen the picture included a shot of the watch.
The operator could also take a picture manually.
The Valiant PR and Victor had the R110 with a larger magazine.
The R88 was removed from the Victor Tankers. The camera mirror and lens were protected by a cover. It had a rubber pad and gave a comfortable head rest for the Nav rad during bombing runs and when kipping in the quarter hour between fixes. The pad may have been a later mod.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:24 am

Boac wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:15 am
But victorious in the end.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:33 am

Boac wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:15 am
Vulcan always find a way! ;)))

Vulcans also used in reconnaissance roles. I am sure that PN can tell us a lot more.
From 1973 to 1982, the Vulcan was also used in the Strategic Reconnaissance role. Specially converted aircraft, designated Vulcan B2 MRR (sometimes called ‘SR2) were operated from RAF Scampton by 27 Squadron for long-range maritime radar reconnaissance sorties. The squadron also had a secondary role which involved high-altitude missions, fitted with underwing ‘sniffer’ pods, taking samples of the upper air for scientific analysis.
https://avrovulcan.com/vulcan/about

Avro Vulcan B2 MRR.JPG
Avro Vulcan B2 MRR (Maritime Radar Reconnaissance) XJ825 of No 27 Squadron overflies the Soviet carrier Kiev.

The flares were apparently intended to warn the aircraft off.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:00 am

Not a lot to tell. Great for hours building but otherwise stultifyingly boring. Counting radar dots and reporting every 15 minutes. We did it once in the Med. The procedure was to identify and plot with reference to a reporting point. We were supposed to send a report every 15 minutes. We had a 3 minutes Comms window. It actually took the AEO 15 minutes for each report such was the density of shipping in the Med.

In UK it was Operation Instow. Where it was interesting was in attacking ships. Once a fleet was located we could loiter well clear (Shacks and Nimrods both) and broadcast course and speed with reference to a random point. The strike force of Buccaneers would then go through a Gate and make a low level penetration using either Martel ARM or Laser Toss.

As the Buccaneers never knew where they were we would try and find them too and tell them where they were in relation to the Gate.

Regarding to OP on Pontifex, the report we saw was Operation Privet.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:02 am

Deserving its own entry, on TOP is one Pontifex who is ex Valiants so one may guess the period. He was later OC BBMF and is still active there.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:47 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:02 am
Deserving its own entry, on TOP is one Pontifex who is ex Valiants so one may guess the period. He was later OC BBMF and is still active there.
Looking forward to seeing the BBMF at the Duxford Battle Of Britain Air Show on the 19th September. When I saw your post I thought, hah hah, I'll easily work out who this bloke is, as I know the BBMF (or whatever it was know as then) was effectively promulgated in 1957 and the Valiants went out of service in 1964, due to spar cracking, soon after Pontifex had been completed. Thus encouraged I hied me to my copy of Jarrod Cotter's Battle of Britain Memorial Flight: 50 Years of Flying , but bugger me if the slacker had failed to completely list the Officers Commanding BBMF from inception of the flight.
  • Sqn Ldr Colin Paterson 1987-1991
  • Sqn Ldr Andy Tomalin 1991-1994
  • Sqn Ldr Rick Groombridge 1994-1996
  • Sqn Ldr Paul Day OBE AFC RAF 1996-2003
  • Sqn Ldr Clive Rowley MBE RAF 2003-2006
  • Sqn Ldr Al Pinner MBE RAF 2006
- Author’s note: At first glance this list may look somewhat amiss – the Flight having been formed in 1957! However, when researching the list of OCs I found I had a huge gap that seemed impossible to fill – certainly within the time constraints I had facing me. On talking to two of the Flight’s former OCs, Squadron Leaders Ken Jackson and Scott Anderson, the reason for the missing information came to light. ‘Jacko’ was the first established OC BBMF.

Prior to this, the post had been a secondary duty taken on by many of the relevant bases’ officers in posts such as OC Ops, or earlier OC Flying. Therefore, while I did find some names of those who had taken on the post in the earlier years, I decided to just list the officers who had been OC BBMF since it has been formally established.
This is a total catastrophe to my OCD nature and I will now have to investigate and find the complete list myself! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:02 pm

I think your man ended up drag racing these up and down at Bruntingthorpe PN....

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:43 pm

TGG, indeed. He had been on shift six in Cyprus. Last time I saw him he was still very smart and dapper but I think even his ground runs may be behind him as one foot did not seem to be properly connected. An odd gait and looked painful.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Boac » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:41 pm

In the video was John Ward (left) and an unknown. Who is the mystery 'boss'? I knew John, 'Pads' Day and Rick Groombridge on the Frightening.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:53 pm

I can't remember his name, I think he was fair haired and might have been established as SFSO

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:22 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:41 pm
In the video was John Ward (left) and an unknown. Who is the mystery 'boss'? I knew John, 'Pads' Day and Rick Groombridge on the Frightening.

He seems to have been quite a character... (from this month's FlyPast special on the Lightning)...

johnward.JPG

I wonder if the Lightning ever shot anything down with those Brocks fireworks that they were armed with. No doubt Boac will tell us, or at least confirm that he used to lob bricks at the rampaging Soviet bombers, either that or dazzle the Soviet pilots with his Macleans smile... ;))) =))

I was so intrigued by my own question that I looked the answer up, not least because I realised the Boac might have responded that he only used Arm and Hammer (without the sickle) toothpaste or, worse, simply treated my question with the contempt it deserved! ;)))
Although never credited with an official 'kill' the English Electric / BAC Lightning did shoot down one aircraft when it was called upon to deal with a Hawker Harrier which unintentionally continued to head for the East German border after the pilot had ejected following apparent engine failure.

https://www.baesystems.com/en-uk/herita ... %20failure.

ArmHammerPromise.png
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:47 pm

're blow through/stay high and fast we once agreed a high level 1v1 when we were in Cyprus. We were doing .84 at about 400 with the Lightning doing a 180 approach. When we got contact we turned towards forcing him to go down the throat. As he went under he made a feint turn but we saw his reverse in the periscope and turned towards forcing a second 180.

Crossing speed was about Mach 2 with negligible height difference. He called knock it off and agreed the tactic worked.

I can't remember his name except he had ginger hair, same sqn as John Ward at the time.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:13 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:47 pm
're blow through/stay high and fast we once agreed a high level 1v1 when we were in Cyprus. We were doing .84 at about 400 with the Lightning doing a 180 approach. When we got contact we turned towards forcing him to go down the throat. As he went under he made a feint turn but we saw his reverse in the periscope and turned towards forcing a second 180.

Crossing speed was about Mach 2 with negligible height difference. He called knock it off and agreed the tactic worked.

I can't remember his name except he had ginger hair, same sqn as John Ward at the time.
Blatzing past a target at Mach 2 crossing speed, armed with a missile with limited range and off boresight angle (such as the Firestreak for example) would have made for a very difficult, and time limited, kill proposition I imagine? The fact that the Firestreak's ability to lock onto the heat source in cloud was limited would have been a bummer too!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."