Avro Vulcan B.2 XH558 Quo Vadis

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Avro Vulcan B.2 XH558 Quo Vadis

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:13 pm

Bad news reference the future of Avro Vulcan B.2 XH558. In this month's Fly Past Magazine.
Plans to build a hangar and visitor centre with Avro Vulcan B.2 XH558 as its showpiece have been scrapped after not enough money was raised. The Vulcan To The Sky Trust has been unable to meet the deadline to raise the £2.2m needed to build The Vulcan Experience at Doncaster Sheffield Airport.

Development director Michael Trotter said: “It is with a heavy heart that we have announced that our plans for The Vulcan Experience will not be going ahead as we had hoped, due
to a fundraising shortfall. We were unable to meet the fundraising deadline of December 31, 2021.”Michael described the failure as a huge blow, adding that the airport had been “more than patient in holding the availability of land for many Vulcan XH588 at Doncaster Sheffield Airport years on the premise that funding would be secured to complete a lease.”

He continued: “We are currently considering the implications for donors, and we will be in touch with all those who have donated shortly. We are obviously devastated to not be in a position to build the visitor attraction, but we will continue with our education outreach work that is currently live across the region. XH558 will continue to be maintained to the high standards she has been kept at through her flying years and after. This is now a period of reflection for us as a charity, as we consider how we continue to provide the best we can for our supporters working with Doncaster Sheffield Airport.”
Avro Vulcan XH558.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Avro Vulcan B.2 XH558 Quo Vadis

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:29 pm

I supported 'Vulcan to the air' and shared the experience of Farnborough 2008 with my son and subsequently enjoyed seeing it displayed across Britain, I have a feeling of 'been there, seen that' and feel that there is a limit as to how long XH558 can be kept 'alive' in the public interest.
Therefore it was fun whilst it lasted, but continued demands have lost their appeal.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:55 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:29 pm
I supported 'Vulcan to the air' and shared the experience of Farnborough 2008 with my son and subsequently enjoyed seeing it displayed across Britain, I have a feeling of 'been there, seen that' and feel that there is a limit as to how long XH558 can be kept 'alive' in the public interest.
Therefore it was fun whilst it lasted, but continued demands have lost their appeal.
G-CPTN, sadly, I have to concur with you. As you say it was great to see her fly and being displayed.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:20 pm

I am of an age to have seen Vulcan being deployed from Waddington on exercises, sometimes as QRA practice and was anxious to share this with my son (who missed-out on this experience).

I was able to acquire VIP tickets for grandstand seats alongside the runway at Farnborough 2008 where XH558 rotated and began its climb.

I think that my son understood my emotion.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:36 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:20 pm
I am of an age to have seen Vulcan being deployed from Waddington on exercises, sometimes as QRA practice and was anxious to share this with my son (who missed-out on this experience).

I was able to acquire VIP tickets for grandstand seats alongside the runway at Farnborough 2008 where XH558 rotated and began its climb.

I think that my son understood my emotion.
I first saw it at Farnborough in 2008 as well, albeit not in the VIP seats, and I was absolutely rapt by the display and the size and beauty of the aircraft. I fully understand your emotion and the memories that it evoked. It is the go to aircraft when visiting Duxford these days. I do hope they find a suitable museum for XH558.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."