Chief Pilot

826 Naval Air Squadron - Falklands 40th Reunion and Operational Photos

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:14 pm

I hope this is of interest.

http://www.826superstars40th.uk/

826 NAS ‘Superstars’

Falklands Homecoming 40th Anniversary
Celebrated In London

The Falkland Islands ? Where ? Most were asking in early April 1982, and so the story began.

We all served with different squadrons during our time in the FAA, however few were lucky enough to serve in 826 NAS, the Royal Navy’s largest squadron embarked in HMS Hermes, the flagship of the Falkland’s task force. The ‘Superstars’ were going south.

826 Squadron was not only the largest FAA squadron but an ASW force to be reckoned with. Our Seaking Mk II + V aircraft protected the task force around the clock steaming south from Ascension Island until later redeployed prior to D-day for the landing phase. Embarked in RFA Fort Grange, MV Atlantic Causeway (and I recall) a sheep shearer’s shed in San Carlos we supported the landing and the ground offensive ashore. Under the command of our late and dearly missed CO Cdr Doug Squire our aircraft were deployed in every rôle we had ever trained for… and then many for which we had not!

Recently, the detective work began to trace the original ‘Superstars’ and a very well attended celebration was held commemorating our safe return to Culdrose in late summer ’82. Members travelled from as far away as Thailand, New South Wales and of course Cornwall to join the celebrations held at the Victory Services Club London. Our esteemed SP Tony Hogg (or possibly his younger brother!) led proceedings and many memories were shared.

Esprit de corps is valued highly in the British Armed Forces. The bond between us having the shared experience of service in the Falklands is as alive today as it was 40 years ago. Here’s hoping the next reunion is as much of a success.

Lt.Cdr. Richard Noble (P)
826 NAS 1981-82
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: 826 Naval Air Squadron - Falklands 40th Reunion and Operational Photos

#2 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:24 pm

Any Royals there?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:05 pm

I doubt it. 826 has been an anti-submarine squadron since 1951. Royal Marines would usually go to a Commando role helicopter squadron.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:56 pm

So which Sqn was Prince Andrew on?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:13 pm

Prince Andrew was with 820 Squadron on HMS Invincible. 826 was on HMS Hermes.

I may have misinterpreted PN's question. "Any Royals?" to me means "Any Royal Marines?"

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:55 am

Copied.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by FD2 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:36 am

Sadly Doug Squier died in Hobart, Tasmania in 2002. I think he and Helen had emigrated.

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by Rossian » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:59 am

Is Doug Squires the chap who did a spell as the token "Admiral" on the Nimrod OCU at S Mawgan in ther '70s? They used to teach aspiring Nimrod aircrew a about ships and "tatics" (sic).

The Ancient Mariner

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by FD2 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:18 am

I had to look him up on Ancestry to confirm the correct spelling of his name though I remember reading about it at the time of his death. We only flew together once in 814 in 1976. He was an observer, about 6' 3" , heavily built, dark hair and a big bushy beard. Where he had been before 814 or went after I don't know, so can't help. The squadron did a Jez course at St Mawgan in 1976 but we pilots only had a very short course. The observers had a longer course and we used the system in our Sea Kings for about a year before I left in early 1977.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:18 pm

Squier is the correct spelling. I only knew him when he was at Daedalus in 1988 when I organised the very first 815 reunion in the Wardroom there and everything had to be routed via him. He was very helpful even to the point of giving us all free accommodation and breakfast.

FD2's comment about going to St Mawgan rang a bell as in August 1967, in what must have been the very early days of the Nimrod, I flew a S/Ldr Wimble and S/Ldr Bagshaw from there in one of our trials unit Wessex 3's so they could gen up on our capabilities.....names might ring a bell with Rossian?

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by Rossian » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:20 pm

Both do, although they were the generation before me. I got on well with Geoff Bagwash as I called him (even though he was 2 ranks senior). A genuine professional but with a great sense of humour and a down to earth approach to the business of maritime aviation.

The Ancient Mariner