Wessex Operational - c1961 film

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Wessex Operational - c1961 film

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:23 pm

A Westlands film about the introduction of the Wessex Mk1 into RN service by 815 Squadron which commissioned with the type on 1 July 1961. In hangar shots the Guinness harp is visible on the fuselage side, an association with that company sadly no longer exists in the present day 815 and their Wildcats. One airframe in the hangar has the name of a pilot on the fuselage side, the late Mike Tuson. Mike wrote a superb book on his experiences in the RN and afterwards as a mercenary in the Sultan of Oman's Airforce - published in 2001 the book is "A Mild Form of Insanity - Recollections of a Helicopter Pilot". His son is a current civvie helicopter pilot and the last I heard he was alternating between the Falklands and North Sea operations.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Wessex Operational - c1961 film

#2 Post by FD2 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:16 am

Thanks C16 - seems like only yesterday! I didn't know, or more likely forgot, that de Havilland had first developed the Gnome under licence from General Electric before Bristol Siddeley took over in 1961 followed by Rolls Royce in 1968. It's a pity the Gazelle wasn't quite as reliable! :-o

I love the clipped commentary!