Fortuna Glacier...

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Fortuna Glacier...

#21 Post by FD2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Caco
Thanks for clearing up the sonar question and also the great photos from Mr Cooper. Love the painting - it brings a chill to the nether regions.

I don't know if they blanked off the big hole in XP142's bottom but even so it would have given them a bit more space with the sonar bodt, cable winch etc removed. As CharlieOneSix says, fourteen in the back would have been extremely 'friendly' - I think they were probably playing 'spoons' or even standing! Ian Stanley was awarded the DSO for the rescue but Chris Parry didn't get any kudos despite the depth charges and early recce being his idea. If so, no wonder he had issues with his captain, as he says in his talk, which couldn't decently be revealed until after the latter died. I don't think he could be accused of being a glory hunter and his ability was certainly recognised later when he was promoted to flag rank.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:42 pm

FD2 wrote:Caco
Thanks for clearing up the sonar question and also the great photos from Mr Cooper. Love the painting - it brings a chill to the nether regions.

I don't know if they blanked off the big hole in XP142's bottom but even so it would have given them a bit more space with the sonar bodt, cable winch etc removed. As CharlieOneSix says, fourteen in the back would have been extremely 'friendly' - I think they were probably playing 'spoons' or even standing! Ian Stanley was awarded the DSO for the rescue but Chris Parry didn't get any kudos despite the depth charges and early recce being his idea. If so, no wonder he had issues with his captain, as he says in his talk, which couldn't decently be revealed until after the latter died. I don't think he could be accused of being a glory hunter and his ability was certainly recognised later when he was promoted to flag rank.

Pleasure FD2. This has been a thoroughly enjoyable thread, enhanced as I said earlier by the knowledgeable and fascinating input form all who contributed. As for Chris Parry, one can see why he might have been a tad aggrieved but as someone once said, a prophet is never recognised in his own country. Chris Parry was clearly promoted on merit and he is certainly being remembered and noted with absolute respect here.

Caco

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Iain Georgeson is a friend of mine, and we've spent many an hour in the air together. a good guy.