More nostalgia...

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: More nostalgia...

#21 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:56 pm

An 18 year old teenager named Dennis Kenyon died in a helicopter crash in 2000.
The teenager (who was probably not the PIC at the time of the accident) had held a helicopter licence since he was aged 17, and was devoted to helicopters.
His father was a nationally renowned helicopter pilot and young Dennis had been desperate to follow in his footsteps and wanted to start up a business with the pilot of the helicopter.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:48 pm

Dennis (the father) set up the Dennis Kenyon Junior helicopter scholarship is in memory of Dennis Kenyon Junior who was sadly lost in March 2000. He started his flying aged 14 and was the youngest pilot to qualify for training as a helicopter instructor at age 18. He was also a qualified fixed wing pilot.

A fully funded PPL(H) is awarded each year to a British National aged between 18 and 23. No formal educational qualifications are required, but candidates holding GCSEs or higher qualifications will normally have an advantage. Applicants are required to believe themselves capable of passing a 'Class Two' medical, and those short-listed for a final 'aptitude test' will need to be in possession of the medical certificate. The scholarship is open to any UK national.

The engineer who had worked on the accident helicopter was charged with manslaughter and the case was referred to the Crown Court for trial. Fortunately for him he had a very eminent barrister, now a Judge, who was deeply knowledgeable of aviation matters, being a qualified pilot who had successfully defended quite a few pilots who had come to the attention of the CAA. The engineer was cleared of all three charges of manslaughter but he admitted allowing an aircraft to fly without a valid certificate of authority, a further charge of endangering an aircraft and failing to make an entry into an aircraft log book. I can't recall what the sentence was.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:33 am

I remember reading that during the hearing of the charges against the engineer, who was known to Dennis Kenyon, he bumped into him outside the court and he assured the grief and angst ridden engineer that he forgave him.
Paul Kenward, a licensed aircraft engineer from Biggin Hill in Kent, who authorised the illegal welding in 1999, was cleared of three counts of manslaughter last year.

He was later jailed for eight months for allowing the helicopter to fly without a valid certificate of airworthiness, endangering an aircraft and failing to make an entry in the aircraft's logbook.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2786289.stm

Just before he retired in 2018, Dennis Kenyon wrote his first novel...

Dangerous Appointment
Dennis told the Gazette:?“Helicopter aviation is a truly wonderful way to earn one’s living but having passed the magic 20,000 flying hour mark, I’m verging on retirement and want to become a writer, hence my first novel. My agent Murielle Maupoint of BNBS helped me sell the first print run of just 400 copies, so I have now updated the typescript and have a further 300 to sell.

“The income from our book sales is used to support scholarship funding, and with this in mind we also sell a helicopter display DVD that contains some of the leading display pilots in the world. A scholarship entry form is included with the DVD. The selling price is £12, including VAT. Additionally, and this is the hardest part, we are always seeking donations and possible sponsorship for our scholarship fund.”
They don't often make people like Mr Kenyon. Extraordinary man.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#24 Post by G~Man » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:44 pm
Here's a bit of video of a Scout, in the hands of a young Navy pilot, doing autos.

The bugger's a conjurer. He makes it look easy, though I'm quite certain that it's not!
He might want to ease that cyclic forward as the blades slow down once on the ground otherwise e will lose his tailboom.

With training it is not difficult. I have just completed annual training doing autos, from high speed, zero speed entry etc and stuck pedals, HYD off from a high hover, (we work in the H/V curve all year long), in the Bell 407, 206 and Huey. Fun times.
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:43 pm

G~Man wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:13 pm

He might want to ease that cyclic forward as the blades slow down once on the ground otherwise e will lose his tailboom.
Exactly my thoughts!
G~Man wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:13 pm
HYD off from a high hover
In days of yore a very experienced Bristow trainer was carrying out a 6 monthly check on me at Biggin Hill in a JetRanger. Over a wooded area on the downwing leg he gave me a HYD failure....except it wasn't as he'd turned off the fuel valve. His hand was a blur of action as he instantly realised his mistake!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#26 Post by G~Man » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:57 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:43 pm
In days of yore a very experienced Bristow trainer was carrying out a 6 monthly check on me at Biggin Hill in a JetRanger. Over a wooded area on the downwing leg he gave me a HYD failure....except it wasn't as he'd turned off the fuel valve. His hand was a blur of action as he instantly realised his mistake!
Fun times, prolly why the Fuel Valve is now guarded and on a different panel....
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:54 pm

G~Man wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:57 pm
Fun times, prolly why the Fuel Valve is now guarded and on a different panel....
Yes - if I recall correctly the fuel valve was indeed unguarded, about 6 inches from and identical to the Hyd valve switch except it was painted red. T’was on an early 206A.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:02 am

Another amusing anecdote brought to us courtesy of the Navy Wings folks. Please feel free to bung them a contribution , or even better, join up as a supporter if, and when you want or can.

As an ex bagpiper (Ok, in my case, more bad piper) I was interested to read this...and found the Guiness book of records folks very oblique reference to mile high records hilarious...

Helicopters and bagpipes...

I would have posted the image of the helicopter but it seems that the site has reached its attachment limit! :-s

and just for the hell of it, try this Badpiper for size... a most excellent dude but I suspect that the fiery effusions might make any sensible helicopter pilot poop in his flying suit.

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."